TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the proper name first off? Extra cab? Extended Cab? Extra Cab? Next can a Human Being fit back there? I want bigger then a reg cab but Not a 4 door. Tacoma's 96-01 range. Whats the deal? Thanks alot!

·
Registered
947 Posts
If the human is less than 4 foot tall/100lbs then yes for short trips. Treat is more as a dry toolbox. with a foam pad Toyota called a seat.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ive had 2 adults back there 6 feet and under. not too comfortable im sure, but i dont have to sit back there. fine for short trips and people who dont bitch. or short bitches who dont trip,i guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've crammed people back there many times. Calling shotgun is serious business when I'm driving :D

I would not reccomend it for a long trip, but around town pretty much anyone can fit back there for a few minutes. Hell, I'm 6'4" and I've been back there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yea, it was real fun once. My little brother who is about 6'1, and his buddy, who is .... well fat, pissed me off once. I went with the wife to pick them up in my 01 ex cab instead of our SUV. They were 16 year old smart ass kids at the time, and really pissed me off that day. They had to face each other and sit kind of sideways back there cause I would not move my seat foward. My wife had to because the fat one was behind here.. Anyway, I would floor it without notice and their heads would about break the back glass. The supercharger helped out a bunch too. Again, do not expect that because its "possible" that its practical. Its a real PITA getting any adult back there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I spent a lot of time lookin into this. But i was dealing with the 07 xtracab. Even it is not big enough for much more then short rides arround town nothing major and it is a far cry bigger then 95 - 04 xtracab. If you are going to have to move people often and you care about their comfort double cab.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
My kids used to love my '97 Extra cabbut it got a little tight as they got older but had room for carseats when they were little..with no junior people to put back there i was amazed at how much stuff I could cram back there. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
going to a party one nite there was 5 of us in my taco and it has the front bucket seats. 3 guys were in the back 2 over 6'2" and 1 was 5'11" +/-, and a case of bush light. in the buckets you had me and another boy which are both over 6'2" also, it wasnt a bad ride cause we only made a short trip, but after a while the X-cab space does cramp ya up.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
badmoonrising said:
ive had 2 adults back there 6 feet and under. not too comfortable im sure, but i dont have to sit back there. fine for short trips and people who dont bitch. or short bitches who dont trip,i guess.
:rofl: One of the funniest things I've heard all week.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
badmoonrising said:
LOL... sounds about right

(You made a funny :kewl: )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both my Kids love it. Plenty of room. Even my wife at 5'4" can ride on the passenger side no problem, if she moves to my side I have to move the seat up a click or two which is NOT uncomfortable for me (6ft).

I would say when the kids get bigger I will probably move to a doublecab especially now that you can get them in a 6ft bed. My toolbox and transfer tank take up room in the 6ft bed and the earlier doublecabs only had the short bed so I would not have had any bed space for my tools.

Fot long trips my wife has a nice comfortable Pathifnder that is loaded with DVD etc, so mostly we take that.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
haschen said:
What the proper name first off? Extra cab? Extended Cab? Extra Cab? Next can a Human Being fit back there? I want bigger then a reg cab but Not a 4 door. Tacoma's 96-01 range. Whats the deal? Thanks alot!

Technically its XtraCab

Yes- human beings can fit in the rear space-
THe problem is the seating is so upright as well as foot space is limited- SO its uncomfortable for extended drives-

I fit 3 adults back there when we were going water skiing- (No one wanted to drive a 2nd vehicle)

Small kids seem to like it.

Carseats will fit back there - but its far from optimal.

Looks like you don't have much of a choice with your restrictions
"I want bigger then a reg cab but Not a 4 door. Tacoma's 96-01 range"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No thats what im gonna end up getting, thanks for all the help! I wanna mainly use it for a "Trunk" Just storage. Thanks Again

·
Registered
532 Posts
haschen said:
No thats what im gonna end up getting, thanks for all the help! I wanna mainly use it for a "Trunk" Just storage. Thanks Again
it will do just fine for that. thats all i use mine for.

·
Registered
984 Posts
198X - 2004 = 'XtraCab'
2005+ = 'Access Cab'

The rear seats are only adequate for 'no other option' transport of adults. In 22 years of driving XtraCabs I've put people into the rear seats exactly twice.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The second last time I went to Moab I rode in the back on the way there with my leg in an immobilizer and it actually wasn't that bad. The drive from here to Moab took us 22 hrs (straight through) from driveway to campground. :eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts