TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a cheap pair of Hella Optilux auxiliary lights from cabellas today and need help wiring them up. first off hear is a picture of the wiring diagram that came with the lights....

if u look at it it says that i should attach a wire (Green) to the head light this tells me that i would have to have my headlights on use Thea's lights right? i want full control over when they are on or off regardless of the headlights being on or off. now hears my real question to gain full control what do i need to do. do i need a new switch or a new relay or just not run that wire to the head lights. thanks for all your help

·
Registered
72 Posts
if I remember correctly that would be the power wire to turn the relay on just run that one to the batt. And yes use a switch your kit should of come with a switch and instructions for two different ways to hook them up. .....mine did.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Just run the green wire with the 2 amp fuse to any other source of power instead of the head lights. It doesn't much matter which source. I suggest a switched source so you don't inadvertingly leave the aux lights on and drain your battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That green wire is the power to the switch. If you wire it up like the directions, then yeah, you'd only be able to turn the lights on when your headlights are on. If you want to be able to turn them on whenever, you can attach that green wire straight to the battery b+.

-Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dick Foster said:
It doesn't much matter which source. I suggest a switched source so you don't inadvertingly leave the aux lights on and drain your battery.
There are two or three slots in the interior fuse box that are powered only when the ignition is set to ACC. These slots are perfect sources for this type of thing.

Route the fused green wire to one of these slots. You can tell which slots are powered all the time versus the ones which only have power when on ACC by using a continuity tester.

Route the fused green switch wire to one of these slots and mount the switch where you would like it. I'm not a fan of running the Hellas off of one of the headlight wires like it tells you. It just makes it more confusing and a PITA to wire.

Make sure your relay is out of the weather, too. And don't snap any of the housing bolts when you mount the lights, like I did.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to mount the switch right under the radio in that useless cubby. would splicing the green wire in to the head unit power work? it would be nice and easy because its right there

·
Registered
155 Posts
toyotateen said:
I'm going to mount the switch right under the radio in that useless cubby. would splicing the green wire in to the head unit power work? it would be nice and easy because its right there
Yes, you could. Connect it to the BLUE wire from the back of the stereo, that is, assuming you have an aftermarket deck. Then, your lights will only work when your stereo is receiving power.

It would work, but I have never witnessed this done. I think you might be pioneering that option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts