TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of those guys who will wait for my bumpers to get ripped off before replacing them with something beefier. So, in the mean time I wanted to add an anchor/recovery point to the rear of my 2000 Taco. There are two steel loops up front but nothing really in the back with the stock setup. I don't have a tow package so all I have to work with is the hole that a ball hitch can go into. I had a ball hitch in place with a SPA shackle looped around it. It was ghetto and didn't really do the job. The shackle would rattle around and it tore away at some of the finish on my bumper. Anyways, I wanted something that would be more useable and reliable than that setup. Below are pictures of what I did. I used a forged steel eye-bolt w/shoulder I found at a local specialty hardware store. The thread size is 3/4" which is the exact size of the ball hitch. The thread length is 2" which is a bit on the small end for the stock bumper. I wasn't able to use any washers due to the short thread length and instead of using a lock washer, I was forced to use blue loctite. I torqued it down to 100 ft/lbs. The eye-bolt is rated around 1200 lbs being pulled at a 45 degree angle which should be plenty for a mediocre recovery or to tow someone out of some snow. This was a cheap solution to use with the stock bumper. I know the bumper clearance may be an issue since I have the loop pointing towards the bottom but as I said before, if it gets ripped off, I'll buy a new bumper AND, now I can sport my CU Buffs logo on my license plate better.

Oh, the eye-bolt I used is made by chicago hardware and is made of forged steel. There are versions of this made with stainless steel that have a longer thread length but they're quadruple the price (I paid ~$15 for this one).

Anyways... pictures below...

No room for washers... blue loctite it is.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I predict one of two things happening
1) the bolt will sheer off. Those eyebolts aren't ment for side pressure.
2) say good bye to your bumper.

Either way, not the smartest attachment point.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I predict one of two things happening
1) the bolt will sheer off. Those eyebolts aren't ment for side pressure.
2) say good bye to your bumper.

Either way, not the smartest attachment point.
Strength-wise, it shouldn't matter if it's mounted toward the top or how it currently is mounted, right? I understand that these eye-bolts are strongest when pressure is being pulled directly from the top however, I saw a spec sheet stating it can handle 1200 Lbs of pressure from a 45 degree pull.

·
7,735 Posts
yeah, congratulations, you're one step closer to getting that new bumper.
IMO, you still don't have a recovery point.

What are they putting in the water down at CU these days?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Why not just put a 2" ball into the hole. I'll bet that eye bolt will last one or two tugs. The shackle you used the first time was the way to go, just zip tie some some rubber to keep it from vibrating. You will bend the bumper mounts, or tear it out of the mounting hole before the shackle would fail. I'd retry the shackle again.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1200lbs what r u gound to be recovered out of wet grass?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are they putting in the water down at CU these days?
Your mom.

Why not just put a 2" ball into the hole. I'll bet that eye bolt will last one or two tugs. The shackle you used the first time was the way to go, just zip tie some some rubber to keep it from vibrating. You will bend the bumper mounts, or tear it out of the mounting hole before the shackle would fail. I'd retry the shackle again.
Thanks for the insightful post. I get annoyed when I ask a question and get a bunch of smart-ass replies. Maybe this was better off in the newbie section. Anyways... I guess this may have not been the best idea. I'll look towards some type of tow hitch or just go back to the ball. I may try stress testing this first towing a friend's truck/car. I'll report back later.

1200lbs what r u gound to be recovered out of wet grass?
Correction... wet marshmallows.

·
7,735 Posts
Your mom.
nice. :lmao:

Thanks for the insightful post. I get annoyed when I ask a question and get a bunch of smart-ass replies.
I guess nobody saw your question in your first post. Seemed like you were just sharing something you did and people were pointing out that you may be screwed if/when it came time to use it (with the intention that perhaps you'd rethink it before getting stuck and finding out for yourself).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice. :lmao:

I guess nobody saw your question in your first post. Seemed like you were just sharing something you did and people were pointing out that you may be screwed if/when it came time to use it (with the intention that perhaps you'd rethink it before getting stuck and finding out for yourself).
Posted the question in one of my posts afterwards. Sorry for being cranky with my replies. I thought this would be a good idea and I like that people are telling me the downs. I just like having different solutions that would work better posted instead of smart ass comments. However, if someone posted a solution and then called me a super-douche-bag-toolshed with sauce, I'd still appreciate it!

Anyways... I appreciate all the honesty at the very least.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The way you have it set up, you've created a leverage point against your bumper brackets. I'd be more worried about tweaking those than the frame.

Before I upgraded my rear bumper, I put in a Class III 2" receiver and used a WARN receiver-mounted shackle. It worked getting me out of axle-deep gooey mud (yanked, not winched). So I'd suggest a receiver. Another (cheaper) option is a step bumper mounted 2" receiver. You'll have to drill a few holes in the bumper for the bolts, but I've seen full size trucks yanked out of holes with those as the recovery point (I was the recoveror, and a Silverado was the recoveree).

Keep in mind that a good enough yank could bend the bumper upwards enough to impact the tailgate. Not a problem if you don't mind the carnage, otherwise you're going to have some sheetmetal work to do, too.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've been pulled from my rear bumper...not a good idea bro.

The bumper is just gonna stretch like spandex.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
the thread doesn't even go through the nut! HORRIBLE idea. Nice try though, but please take it off before you or someone else gets hurt.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I'll give you this:

You did an excellent job of making your departure angle severly worse, and you also put the person that is recoving you in danger.

Good job!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'll give you this:

You did an excellent job of making your departure angle severly worse, and you also put the person that is recoving you in danger.

Good job!
This dude probably never has seen hard enough trails to even worry about his departure angle!! probably a muding luvr.. I have to LMAO ROFL about the lack of threads into the nut though!

·
Registered
143 Posts
good idea on paper. bad idea in reality i think. what i see is what the others saw. a lever that when pulled on will put an upward twist on either the bumper or the mounts, which ever is weaker. i can see tailgate damage occurring. I would just go ahead and get a hitch put on there. thats what i use and omgosh yes my "departure angle went to shit" but it works good. not too expensive either if you know a mom and pops type garage that is good. plus, you can now tow heavier trailers. a little cool tidbit. a 2" receiver is the perfect size for a mortar

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good idea on paper. bad idea in reality i think. what i see is what the others saw. a lever that when pulled on will put an upward twist on either the bumper or the mounts, which ever is weaker. i can see tailgate damage occurring. I would just go ahead and get a hitch put on there. thats what i use and omgosh yes my "departure angle went to shit" but it works good. not too expensive either if you know a mom and pops type garage that is good. plus, you can now tow heavier trailers. a little cool tidbit. a 2" receiver is the perfect size for a mortar
Out of curiosity, how much did you spend for the hitch? And good work everyone... you've convinced me to get a hitch... I'll be looking for one soon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
MY local junkyard has a mound of hitchs about 15 feet tall. If you find the dimensions of a hitch that will fit, call a local junkyard and see if theyve got it. The guy near me sold my buddy one for his ranger for 15 bucks.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much did you spend for the hitch? And good work everyone... you've convinced me to get a hitch... I'll be looking for one soon.
Craigslist and the classified section is your friend ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts