TTORA Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
As long as it is the style hitch that sandwiches between the frame and bumper brackets it is good such as the oem, valley, drawtite, etc. Don't get a universal reese towpower that mounts to the bottom of the frame.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Craigslist and the classified section is your friend ;)
+1 I've seen at least two on the Denver craigslist in the last month or so. I think someone had the complete factory setup (bumper, hitch, and wire harness, obviously not the coolers) for like $150 or so.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you're going to use a stock bumper at least buy a big shackle that will fit that hole. The eye-bolt thing you got going on is going to get someone hurt after it sheers. Just think about the physics of it - sideways load, etc. At least with a shackle it would be pulling on the bumper length wise rather than a twisting motion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Guys, just purchased a Uhaul class III hitch for my taco. Called junk yards around Denver and no one had a hitch for my truck. Craigslist wasn't anything special either. Ebay had the Uhaul for $144 shipped. Thanks for those who gave insightful info and there will be a big bag of flaming poo on the doorsteps of those who had to throw in their douche-bag comments. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i'd rate this mod a 1 on a function and form questionnaire.
E for effort, though.
np Ricer Poopshoot, we know that you don't really have shit for brains:2cents:
Neat.

Lets play a game and see how long we can keep this thread alive with intelligent posts like these.

I honestly hope a mod comes by and closes this thread.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not trying to start a fight here. I have towed people out of some minor situations with a ball joint in the same location on my bumper w/out any damage to the bumper. So, using the eye-bolt lead me to thing it would be strong enough. There were a lot of good posts that people put up that got me to research and look into getting a trailer hitch and ditching this idea (based on safety, damage, etc...). It's the posts that people put up that don't provide anything except showing off how big of a dick they can be that really does nothing for this forum. I haven't been on this forum in a while and before I left there were a lot more positive/constructive replies than what I saw in this thread I made. It gets frustrating for people like me who come... sorry... RELY on this forum for great technical advise (even when something I come up is a bad idea). However, about 50% of the posts in this thread haven't been helpful at all. I'd honestly like to see this thread die or at least see all the negative/pointless posts stop.

I do really appreciate all the posts that were made here that steered me to ditching this idea and moving on to buying a trailer hitch.

For those of you who helped me, thank you much. For those that want to continue posting garbage... have fun.

Seacrest out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Guys, just purchased a Uhaul class III hitch for my taco. Called junk yards around Denver and no one had a hitch for my truck. Craigslist wasn't anything special either. Ebay had the Uhaul for $144 shipped. Thanks for those who gave insightful info and there will be a big bag of flaming poo on the doorsteps of those who had to throw in their douche-bag comments. :)
Be carefull cause i will be waiting with a 12 guage shotgun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Helped me-

I am a newbie to pickups. Drove Dodge vans (318- great engine!!) for over 650,00 miles as my work vehicle. Semi retired now.
Want to get a simple ball for light duty. Log splitter, etc. This thread did help.
I run on the beach ( Chevy Blazer, defunct now, hence the Taco),love to surf fish. Never had to dig out or be pulled out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Strength-wise, it shouldn't matter if it's mounted toward the top or how it currently is mounted, right? I understand that these eye-bolts are strongest when pressure is being pulled directly from the top however, I saw a spec sheet stating it can handle 1200 Lbs of pressure from a 45 degree pull.
Did the spec sheet show what it would be @ 90 degrees that 1200 Lbs @ 45 degrees will decrease as it get closer to 90.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Please let this thread die and never do what I did. Lessons learned (luckily not be an incident but coming to my senses)... Just don't use this method. Poor thread was doing just fine dying a slow death and then had to get resurrected.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts