TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid toyota putting inferior tires on the 05 and later tacomas. I had one debead on a normal maintained dirt road today. Put on the spare and guess what happens 5 miles later, another tire debeads (not the spare). I had the tires at normal pressure highway pressure when it happened. I'm going back to my BFG A/Ts screw the gas milage.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
YUP, got rid of those rugged trails 2 weeks after I bought the truck. Never looked back. Besides, they wear out to fast.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Stupid toyota putting inferior tires on the 05 and later tacomas. I had one debead on a normal maintained dirt road today. Put on the spare and guess what happens 5 miles later, another tire debeads (not the spare). I had the tires at normal pressure highway pressure when it happened. I'm going back to my BFG A/Ts screw the gas milage.
Before you hit the BFG AT's look at the Nitto terra's smoother ride just as aggressive and just as tough, I got tired of always (3 Sets) getting 1 out of round tire. The nittos were guaranteed to be smoother and great for rocks and sand and everything but mud just like any AT. I love them I have just under 3000 miles on them and I bought them since the 1st of last month. They are awesome.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Now wait a minute...

" I had one debead on a normal maintained dirt road today."

You are saying that you were just driving along in a sane mannor, obeying all the laws (Here in Texas, the speed limit is 30 MPH on an unposted road) And the tire popped off of the bead?

And then, the spare did too?

Sorry, I ain't going for it.

Tell us the real story!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Now wait a minute...

" I had one debead on a normal maintained dirt road today."

You are saying that you were just driving along in a sane mannor, obeying all the laws (Here in Texas, the speed limit is 30 MPH on an unposted road) And the tire popped off of the bead?

And then, the spare did too?

Sorry, I ain't going for it.

Tell us the real story!
Now that you mention it sounds more like a Baja 500 pre-qualifying run to me!

Aaron

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, the fish always stinks from the haed down. What's the real story...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the fish always stinks from the haed down. What's the real story...
I was only going 40 when i debeaded. Hence the reason i am pissed and getting new tires as soon as i can afford them, no hard baja style driving involved. Wasn't even violent, started vibrating and about 5 sec later the TPS light came on, i stopped and the tire was flat no holes or sidewall tears just debeaded. And twice no less, on the same fawking road! BTW i'm not the only person here to lose a tire on that road, guy with an 05 prerunner lost one of his stockers to it also and i know he was going close to the same speed when it happened cause i was following him when his let go. Never had problems like this with my BFGs and these crapped out within a week of putting them back on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05, rolling down a FM road @ 75 one of the stock dunlops lost a bead with 8k on it. I took it in to the dealer the next day and they said it looked like during installation the bead was damaged, got a new tire had no more problems. My 06 has 12k on it and no problems to report as of yet.

Could be just bad luck yesterday was Friday the 13th.

·
Registered
92 Posts
damn, i had the same exact issue. i was riding on a dirt road and went into a rut. It was a really shallow one, nothing special. I was going about 20 mph and all of a sudden im riding on rim. I went with new ones. Those dunlops suck ass.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's starting to sound like Dunlop is having a problem with this series of tire. Kinda reminds me of the Firestone stink many years ago. I got a new set for my Excursion and Explorer for free.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine got a good 1.5 inch tear in the sidewall from hitting a small pothole at no more than 35mph. I couldn't believe it! Needless to say I didn't waste money to replace it and rode on the spare until I could get ProComp ATs all around. No problems since.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Mine got a good 1.5 inch tear in the sidewall from hitting a small pothole at no more than 35mph. I couldn't believe it! Needless to say I didn't waste money to replace it and rode on the spare until I could get ProComp ATs all around. No problems since.
10-4 just be careful in the rocks with those Pro-Comp AT's. They have a pretty thin sidewall compared to the BFG AT's. That info came from my bud, who is a mgr at 4 wheel parts. Just a heads up and my:2cents:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was only going 40 when i debeaded. Hence the reason i am pissed and getting new tires as soon as i can afford them, no hard baja style driving involved. Wasn't even violent, started vibrating and about 5 sec later the TPS light came on, i stopped and the tire was flat no holes or sidewall tears just debeaded. And twice no less, on the same fawking road! BTW i'm not the only person here to lose a tire on that road, guy with an 05 prerunner lost one of his stockers to it also and i know he was going close to the same speed when it happened cause i was following him when his let go. Never had problems like this with my BFGs and these crapped out within a week of putting them back on.

How long were the Rugged Trails hanging around off the rims? Might have something to do with it... Not that I think the RT is a good tire! I love the BFG AT, just wish they made it in a 255/85/16. Might get the MTs, or the cooper sst...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Before you hit the BFG AT's look at the Nitto terra's smoother ride just as aggressive and just as tough, I got tired of always (3 Sets) getting 1 out of round tire. The nittos were guaranteed to be smoother and great for rocks and sand and everything but mud just like any AT.
X2! I have had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my last three trucks. They grip fantastic on mossy submerged river rock.:)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts