TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatever you guys (and girls) do, don't ever buy one of those BS "chrime" (sometimes known as chrome) bezel covers for your instrument panel. The Tacos were not made to tinker with in that area. Some pretty cheap parts in there. My clear window is She-I-IT now, and I'm looking for the box it attaches to as well since I've torn it all up. I'm patient, and careful, but to no avail!

-pist at myself...

Chris :xcrybaby:

·
Registered
485 Posts
3rdidvet said:
Whatever you guys (and girls) do, don't ever buy one of those BS "chrime" (sometimes known as chrome) bezel covers for your instrument panel. The Tacos were not made to tinker with in that area. Some pretty cheap parts in there. My clear window is She-I-IT now, and I'm looking for the box it attaches to as well since I've torn it all up. I'm patient, and careful, but to no avail!

-pist at myself...

Well, if you do it the right way you won't have any problems. I bought a stainless steel overlay and it looks great. Costs me $15 total and a little over an hours time to do. The key is to not attempt to seperate the clear plastic shield from the black gauge cover with a screwdriver. YOU WILL CRACK THE SHIELD I DONT CARE HOW CAREFUL YOU ARE. THE SHIELD IS A SENSITIVE PIECE AND IS GLUED QUITE STRONG TO THE BLACK PIECE. You must use a Dremel tool and basically cut out the clear piece, from there you lay in the overlay and just use some autoglue to attach the shield back to the black piece. From there it snaps back onto the instrument cluster and wala, a tight looking cluster for little to no money at all. Keep your eye out for a new cluster on Ebay or look at some junkyards. Next time ask some questions if you are not sure how to do it before you go breaking stuff :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense, but my I did explain in my post that I am meticulous and took plenty of time to do it. The cut is wrong, doesn't match the dummy lights, and I DID use a Dremel (which is a very nice one) that I'm rather skilled with. The problem I encountered is that my truck is high miles, even though it doesn't look it. The lens was soooo brittle from age and heat (I'm in California) that it cracked at the slightest touch. I can promise that I would have asked questions had the problem not been completely self explanatory. Had it been a new rig, I don't think there would be any issues at all.
Thanks for the ebay tip. I see them from time to time. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so that crack is gonna drive me nutz 'till I get the replacement lens!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Good luck in your search for one. I was under the impression that you just pried on it and it broke but sounds like you went about it the right way. Mine turned out really good, the one you bought must have just been a mess up or something. So I guess lesson learned, guys with high mile trucks that are in the sun a lot, don't try to do this mod!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I should have been more specific. Was a little hot under the collar when I made the 1st post... Had to vent! Lol. Not to mention, I killed my battery as I had the stereo running! When it rains it pours...Lol. However, I have one of those little portable jumper kits. Just a cheapy, but that thing has been one of the best investments I have made! Cables are easy, but this makes a jump a 60 second mission!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got mine off of my 2002 very carefully using a heat gun, screwdriver and prying very carefully. I definately wouldn't say all instrument clusters would last throught that, my "window" cracked a little around the edges where you cant see it and was very brittle, even on a 2002. I think the end result was worth it though, brightens up my dash and gives it a kind of "classy" look for only $15 and about 2-3 hours total.

·
Registered
485 Posts
WoodTRD said:
I got mine off of my 2002 very carefully using a heat gun, screwdriver and prying very carefully. I definately wouldn't say all instrument clusters would last throught that, my "window" cracked a little around the edges where you cant see it and was very brittle, even on a 2002. I think the end result was worth it though, brightens up my dash and gives it a kind of "classy" look for only $15 and about 2-3 hours total.

Good idea with the heat gun, but I would still recommend using a Dremel. Mine came out without a hitch and I suffered no cracks anywhere! Just a suggestion

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ahhh shit....

And I just wanted to take mine apart to clean out the two BIG dead flies that are covering up a couple of the bottom idiot lights... :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
3rdidvet said:

-pist at myself...

How bout some pics cuz I can't picture it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cracker said:
Ahhh shit....

And I just wanted to take mine apart to clean out the two BIG dead flies that are covering up a couple of the bottom idiot lights... :eek:
I got some Mosquitoes in mine. How in the F*ck do those thing get in there? :confused:

·
Registered
297 Posts
3rdidvet said:

-pist at myself...

Dude, I did the same thing. Except I used a carbon fiber one and I totally hated it. Way rice. But I had to wait 5 days to get the replacement in from trdparts4u because I too screwed up the clear window. Worst idea I ever had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts