TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first would like to say that this forum has been extremely helpful during the long process of lifting my Taco with the Fabtech 6". Oh and choosing correct backspacing, couldn't have done it without this forum. I really have had no reason to post a question until now because every answer was in previous threads.

But here is the problem that I am encountering with the Fabtech 6" lift: when the rear axel flexes (or articulates), the leaf-packs come in contact with the rear shocks. Big problem because the pressure bends the shock's shaft and essentially breaks the supplied fabtech shocks.

First I thought I was to blame because I installed something wrong, or had a failing or lose center pin inside of the leafs. But the pins/bolts are working as they should and are tight. Interestingly, my friend just had 4Wheelparts (professionally) install the exact same kit on his '96 Tacoma and it has the same issue as mine. His shocks are dented from contact with the leafs just like mine.

As you can see in the first picture I backed up on a mound to induce a slight articulation and the second picture show the leafs pressing on the right shock. Notice the bending of the shock's shaft in picture 3 taken just above picture 2. Let me know what you think. Oh and this occurs on both sides of my truck and one other.

Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
are you running an add-a-leaf? If so, they always shift in the leaf pack and hit the shocks. I gues w/ the combination of the block, it could make it the situation worse. The fix is to get a rear set up that is a complete set of springs that give you the needed lift or re-mount your shocks like this / \.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
NBocchi said:
I first would like to say that this forum has been extremely helpful during the long process of lifting my Taco with the Fabtech 6". Oh and choosing correct backspacing, couldn't have done it without this forum. I really have had no reason to post a question until now because every answer was in previous threads.

But here is the problem that I am encountering with the Fabtech 6" lift: when the rear axel flexes (or articulates), the leaf-packs come in contact with the rear shocks. Big problem because the pressure bends the shock's shaft and essentially breaks the supplied fabtech shocks.

First I thought I was to blame because I installed something wrong, or had a failing or lose center pin inside of the leafs. But the pins/bolts are working as they should and are tight. Interestingly, my friend just had 4Wheelparts (professionally) install the exact same kit on his '96 Tacoma and it has the same issue as mine. His shocks are dented from contact with the leafs just like mine.

As you can see in the first picture I backed up on a mound to induce a slight articulation and the second picture show the leafs pressing on the right shock. Notice the bending of the shock's shaft in picture 3 taken just above picture 2. Let me know what you think. Oh and this occurs on both sides of my truck and one other.

Thanks
-Nick

Stock Tacomas are known to have the same problem with dented the shocks too but the fabtech kit makes it worse because the blocks (increases the distance between the lower shock mount and the leaf spring). Some people on the board have added washers to push the shock out to stop the denting but your best bet is to relocate the shocks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been under the impression that doing the shock relocation would also improve your articulation. Is that assumption correct? If it is, my next question is does it reduce your driving stability when you have a load in the bed? Would the back of my truck be more unstable? I'm asking because I drive off road to get to fishing spots and must drive 1 - 2 hours on the highway to get there first. Thanks for the help.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
yes it improves articulation by freeing up your springs to flex (laterally also). No, it hasn't affected stability. The shocks dampen the movement, but are not responsible for the movement. I guess if you had an extreme angle set up ( X ) you would notice it, but not with an ( /\ ). I'm not a genius- I asked many questions before I did it- here is Nuke's reply to me- he knows what he's talking about IMO.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=106362.41

·
Registered
908 Posts
you can also flip the shocks

I chose not to do that
so far just spacing them further out on the mounts has resulted in no more dents thus far . also I rotated them when furring out mount locations. theres a little write up at parks'offroad sorry no link

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Paul
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing