TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Fabtech 2 1/2" coilover kit in my truck and cranked it up to the 2 1/2" on the threads. I like how it looks but know the ball joints are maxxed out, and it sound like it was about to brake on speed bumps. So I uncranked it about 3/4" and it is a little better.But it is not as hi as I would like it to be. Now it also is makeing a hissing noise and it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side.I only here it when I'm driving.I was wondering if there is a low cost way to get it back up to let the 2 1/2" mark and have it be strong and safe without the hissing. :confused:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you cranked it up to where there was 2.5" of thread showing, that's too much. The amount of thread showing below the nut isn't a 1:1 correlation with the amount of lift you get. Crank them down. What are you running in the rear?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I hope you took a measurement at the fender above the wheelwell to the groundbefore you started. To give you an idea, I run 265/75/16 tires. I have about 36-1/4" from the floor to the center of the top of the fender, using the axle hub/ bolts as a guide. I don't run the fabtech unit, but they are all similar in the way the height is adjusted. My driver side needed about 1/2 inch more preload than the passenger side. To see where you should be, use the height of the rear as a general guide. Only adjust the coilover when the truck is up off the ground, supported by the frame, so the arms are unloaded. It makes adjustment much easier. I haven't had any rub issues with this kind of height. You may have topped out the shocks and blown them, and that could be the hissing you hear, as you go up& down. Check them for any leaks/ oil showing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 2" shackles in the back to level it out.I will crank them down but I want to keep it as high as it was.I checked for leaks and did not see any. But the hissing has now become a steady hiss and and I can not find it.Would block work to raise it in the front

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
A steady hiss is a vacuum leak. Is it 4wd? Maybe a vacuum actuator is broken. I caught ALL KINDS of flak for teasing guys about blocks..... But I would suggest a Fabtech, or maybe a Trail rite suspension lift which would drop your 3rd member and A arms for something like 5" of lift. Or, go nuts and do a long travel from Camburg. I am hoping this will give you some head start.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Trail rite suspension lift
WTF is Trail rite?
But the hissing has now become a steady hiss and and I can not find
it.Would block work to raise it in the front
Is this hissing occuring while the truck is rolling, or just when the engine is running? Try putting it into 4wd, if so equipped.
Alittle more info can go a long way......

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
"2kTaco
Billet grille, 3" drop, 20" blades, 30's, clears, altezzas, walnut dash trim, shaved handles, dixie horn, momo driving shoes, strobes, hyperwhite squirters, Type R stickers, deckplate mod, JDM wheels, JDM exhaust, JDM/TRD brake shoes, JDM mats, JDM F&R diff plugs from a Hilux, custom shocks, 26mm t-bars, and a bling blangin' Gold Crown air freshner sittin awn da dash"

Damn Jason thats some truck, I knew they did things different in Carrollton, just didnt know how different.
:D
Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it is 2w drive. It makes the noise when it is sitting.It started sporadically when I was driveing but now it is a constant hiss driving or sitting with the engine running. Well I just have what came out of the Fabtech box. What would blocks in the front do?
Would it just make it worse?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Three things it may be. 1. An exhaust leak. Not too likely that it would hiss, but who knows. 2.A manifold leak. It is possible that the intake is cracked, or has an air leak. 3. A vacuum leak. Just poke around under the hood with the truck running, and try to find the source of the noise.The blocks usually work well when on your desk to keep papaers from flying around the room. A lot of guys are using them, I don't. And won't. Drove a Dodge with them, and it wasn't the best thing. Can't say for a taco, so I won't say. How much tire are you looking to run under this thing?? That will dictate how much lift you need. Most guys are able to squeeze 33" tires in with 3" of lift, and the pinch weld mod. Find that leak, before it drives the rest of us nuts, for cryin' out loud!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey your telling me. I'm the one getting funny looks when I drive down the street with a hissing taco. It might be a couple days I'm getting a little rain here in so cal.I wanted to run 33's on it but 31's if I must. Hey and THANKS for the help I really appreciate all of the help guys. You have saved me alot of money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
porksoda
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing