TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone is running the fabtech coilover performance system with 32"s tires(0-3.5).. and would like to know if you could give me the measurement from the center of the hub to the bottom center of the fender on your tacoma.. I have the 01 double cab trd 4x4 and just got these co's installed and i want to make sure that i don't have it too high.. I hear clunking noise but from what i read from here, few others have the clunking noise and appears to be normal sometimes..

Also, has anyone had problems with the stock upper control a-arm with these coilovers? does these kit put a lot of pressure on the a-arm? Passenger side a-arm has grease coming out of it and appears to be cracked.. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow and have them look at it..

Last question is, does anyone know if i can run camburgs a-arm with fabtech perfomance lift kit? Thanks in advance for the info's..

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Thing is...

The Tacom'as stock only have about 4" of down travel (if that). So by lifting 3.5", you only have roughly .5" of downtravel, if that...

So what are you doing? You are pushing your ball joints to the limit, cv's to the limit, and increasing wear and tear on the rack and pinion.

You can run the a-arm kit, and that solves the problem of the upper ball joint, but what about the cv's???

Read the first page closely:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65003

Every truck is different. So find you model, measure, and compare accordingly.

IMHO, I would find an alternative route for the coilovers. Fabtech can't even design a coilover lift for these trucks (hence going that high) and thier customer service blows. Good luck geting replacements parts when something goes out or you need a rebuild. Fabtech is just to get you up there, but they take little design and consideration into play.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm not trying to gain more height.. I just wanted to know if the shop set it too high.. I thought that if i change the a-arm, that it would help the pressure off, but didn't realize that camburg a-arm will give me extra lift.. I had the revtek lift kit before i had them put in the fabtech and I told them to set it where the revtek height was.. It seems like they went too high, because i used to rub with the revtek and now I don't.. I'm only running 32's and only would rub on a really tight turn.. I'm trying to find info before i go back in the shop and tell them that they went too high.. Is the busted ball joint on the upper a-arm caused by the lift kit being too high, or maybe it was damage during the installation of the kit.. If it was cause by the lift kit, i want to know if i should have them adjust them down some to take little pressure off.. Thanks for the other spec info..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it back to shop and had them lower the suspension, turned out they had it too high, I measured the thread that is showing on the co's and got a 2 1/2 inches before i took it back.. I had them drop it to 2 inches of thread showing and clunking is gone.. It appears that it was putting too much pressure on axle or somethin with the angle of the axles. With the busted ball joint on the wishbone and upper a-arm, turned out that one guy had sliced it "accidentally" and "forget to tell me" about it when he was using a tool while installing the kit.... lol.. They are now going to replace it.. Oh yeah they also owe me a new set of wheel lock and key, since they lost one of the lug nut..

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
took it back to shop and had them lower the suspension, turned out they had it too high, I measured the thread that is showing on the co's and got a 2 1/2 inches before i took it back.. I had them drop it to 2 inches of thread showing and clunking is gone.. It appears that it was putting too much pressure on axle or somethin with the angle of the axles. With the busted ball joint on the wishbone and upper a-arm, turned out that one guy had sliced it "accidentally" and "forget to tell me" about it when he was using a tool while installing the kit.... lol.. They are now going to replace it.. Oh yeah they also owe me a new set of wheel lock and key, since they lost one of the lug nut..
Measuring the threads is NOT an accurate way to determine lift.

Follow the instructions in the link I posted.

·
Registered
219 Posts
should've got some hoes and camburg uca's

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
as for the lift, norcal, It appears to be sitting where my revtek was.. I checked out the fins on my axles boots and they are not rubbing.. i'll still make the measurements and find the actual lift of the kit, but i was aware to not make the measurement from the thread itself, i just used it as a guide from where they set it to, to where they dropped it to.. Them peeps at the shop just couldn't follow instructions that the kit came with..

Oh yeah hbtaco, I wish i could get in to camburgs/donahoes but i'm limited in budget as for now.. Maybe in the near future, since these co's only costed me 350.00, hey why not just slap them on.. Seems like this combo is the most popular in here, i'll keep it in mind.. but i sure am staying away from the 6" fabtech, they look very nice, but i've read way too many issues in here.. thanks for your input...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
What's the name of the shop so people know to stay away from them. Sounds like some shotty work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
les schwab... although, i've had lots of work done by them, from tires-suspension and alignment, and thats the first time i've had bad experience with them.. I guess it all depends on who the mech is that works on your truck.. My suggestion is to find out how much experience the mech has who works on the suspension at the shop and how much knowledge they have.. Also, always inspect their work from ground up.. Some will never tell you if they f*** somethin up unless you see and complain bout it. Some of them are very incompetent and not know to follow instructions and your own personal instructions..

Talk about incompetency, while i was in their shop, they were working on someones truck, i don't know what they were doing but they were using the hydraulic lift to lift the truck up high in the air.. Well some idiot decide to lift it from the body frame, the rail under the door, and not the frame of the truck.. Well the rail gave in and the truck fell off in the middle of lifting it.. One pissed off owner and one f*%%% up truck is all I can remember...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Well, there ya go. Les Schwabb does tires. It's like saying, I'm going to take my truck to BigO and have them change my transmission fluid...

#1 reason why I don't take my truck to any shops unless I REALLY have to. The suspension lift only took about 3 hours max to do by myself, and that was with a lot of breaks, a pool game every now n then, and a couple bottles. It's really really easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts