TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced their factory dome light ? if so what kind did you get and where? my factory dome light is as bright as a bic lighter. i have a new buld and cleaned the lense and its still yellow and dull.

·
Registered
509 Posts
a buddy of mine got green and blue bulbs in his. The blue looked really nice and wasn't too bright, but you could still see decent.

·
Registered
279 Posts
upwithit said:
has anyone replaced their factory dome light ? if so what kind did you get and where? my factory dome light is as bright as a bic lighter. i have a new buld and cleaned the lense and its still yellow and dull.
I'm gonna get flamed but I put the green ones in also. Looks like the nightvision bulbs in an aircraft cockpit.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
upwithit said:
I got a rear view mirror/map light out of a 4-runner, and put it in the tacoma. Bolts right in, just had to runa hot to the domellight. Now with the dome and the map lights, all is good.

--Scott

·
Registered
22 Posts
FB,
Did ya get the two way maplight that comes on wit da courtesy lights or just maplights? If the two way, how did you run wiring and tap power. It is a real good solution for more interior light.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Grendle31 said:
FB,
Did ya get the two way maplight that comes on wit da courtesy lights or just maplights? If the two way, how did you run wiring and tap power. It is a real good solution for more interior light.

Thanks
It's the one with 2 lights in it, one points at each seat. It has the switch to have it come on when the doors open or not, and the buttons to turn them on continuous. Wiring was simple. Just find the hot lead on your crappy dome light, run that to the new light by rammming a coat hanger through to the front where your mirror is mounted. :D I had to cut a small square in the headliner to fit the bigger assy. The bolt holes are already there, just covered up by the headliner. It works just like it would from the factory. And get this....those lights wer actually too bright, I had to calm them down a bit with a strip of electrical tape!

--Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fishbone said:
I got a rear view mirror/map light out of a 4-runner, and put it in the tacoma. Bolts right in, just had to runa hot to the domellight. Now with the dome and the map lights, all is good.

--Scott

Do you have any pics? And what year of vehicle did the part come from?

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are looking for one of these let me know. I got an oak one from a 4runner just before buying my truck, turns out my truck has one.

I have done the conversion several times before, piece of cake.

Only problem, 4runner does not have the switch in the middle to turn off the dome light so it would be a little different wiring it and would have no way to turn off the "front" dome with the door open.

Let me know if your interested.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Do you know if this conversion will work on the 96-97 models??

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes it will work.

Feel around on each side of your existing light, you will feel a pocket on each side and a screw hole outboard of the pocket.

All you do is slit the plastic and poke enough of a hole in each screw hole to get the screw in.

If you have a light there already it is just plug and play, if you have the light over the middle of the cab then you have to fish a wire through.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Excellent, I've been scheming on a fix for that crappy light..Appreciate it..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts