TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to tell what gears might be in a 4runner. I am looking at buying a wrecked 97 4runner with a 3.4l, 5 spd, no diff lock. I have not seen the 4runner. Can you tell off the vin or how is the best to tell?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I did a test on my truck that I found online.

1)Lift one wheel off the ground
2)Using a sharpie or paint pen, mark a line on the diff flange and set to 12 O' Clock
3)Turn the lifted tire 2 full revolutions and see how many revolutions the driveshaft turns

If it has 4.10 gears, the driveshaft will turn 4.1 revolutions. If it has 4.56 gears, it will turn about 4.5 revolutions... etc

Its a quick easy way to get a good idea. I was skeptical at first, but came up with 4.10 gears front and rear on my truck with this test.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I can count the gears but I am buying this with out seeing it. So there is no way for me to count the turns. I am just wondering if there is a code of vin that will tell me what the ratio is. Thanks for your help everyone

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
to my knowledge there isn't a code in the VIN, only the door tag code indicates it. any chance you can have the seller let you know what the door tag says? or snap a picture of it?

edit: after some searching toyota only assigns vehicles a serial number within the vin, other mfgs sometimes tag some other data in there but most of it is body codes, plant location and such....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts