TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE help me! how in gods name do you remove the factory hub from my 97 taco? Im putting a set of warn hubs on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
USMCTaco said:
PLEASE help me! how in gods name do you remove the factory hub from my 97 taco? Im putting a set of warn hubs on.
Remove outer dial/faceplate (6-bolts, 10mm socket). Then, remove the c-clip from the outer stub shaft. Next, remove the nuts (6 nuts, 12mm socket) holding the hub body on, washers (6), and cone washers (6 as well, these are the hardest ones to remove). Now the hub body should slide right off.

Just one question:
Why are you putting a Warn hub on in place of a far superior Aisin?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i do have the warn hubs!
how do you remove the cone washers? and can you reuse them?

·
Registered
282 Posts
USMCTaco said:
Warn hubs aren't neccessarily any better that the Aisins (Factory Toyota) except for maybe the price.
Anyway, the cone washers can be removed a couple of different ways. Try tapping gently on the side of the hub with a hammer, perpendicular to the hub stud. Watch your face, those little fuckers come out with a vengence, sometimes. If I had a dollar for every time...... well nevermind....
If that doesn't work, try tapping on the stud directly USING A BRASS DRIFT. It will take a little effort but they should come out with relative ease.
And yes, they are reusable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks buddy i am reall thankful!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
USMCTaco said:

Well it looks like your serious about changing them so... To get the cone washers out I spray them well in PB Blaster or WD40 and let it soak for a while then I put a nut back on a few of the sutds and line it up even with the end of the stud. The nut and stud will be flat and even all the way across. I then use a ball peen hammer and tap the stud/nut combo with a little patience they will pop out. Now if you where going to leave those hubs on I always coat mine with some antisize to make them comeout easier next time.

The cone washers can be used many times. You know that the Aisins hubs are just as good if not better than the Warn hubs. The only problem I have ever had with them is being hard to turn. Well I took them apart and regreased them and do it everynow and then and they turn great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey stomper thanks for the details i finally got to do it today it only took 45 min to swap em thanks man!

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
USMCTaco said:
Just like The Prof said- Use a Brass Punch on the little studs-
I usually just back the nuts off from the cone washers, instead of completely removing the nuts- helps keelp the cone washer from getting lost

You can also double nut the end of the stud, keeping the it flush to increase surface area when striking with a Brass punch
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37038

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I think we are all curious to know why the 97 tacoma has Warn hubs and not Aisin hubs?
The stock hubs are very easy to repair and usually don't get too much abuse
I didn't even know they had Warn for the newer 4x4 Toyota Tacoma
post some pics

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock hub on the passengers side EXPLODED! when i took off the cap the insides fell out most of it in chunks! i also discovered that it had cracked the housing. The bad part is i was driving in snow headed up to work! Ill try to post some pics!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
USMCTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing