TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which one is better.

I have an 06 Tacoma Off Road package, it does have an engine skid plate, but the front of the plate is attached to frame member up and behind bumper unit seems like it is steel. A buddy has an 05 same rig, but looks like aluminum skid plate, it attaches under the bumper (more forward than mine) and runs to same rear location as my plate. I think mine may be steel, and his aluminum. Who has the better plate / coverage?? Why different if on same model and package?

I see the larger aluminum plates on Ebay for @ $75.00, is this a decent skid plate or stay with what I have?

thanks

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The steel ones are part of the off road package, and offer some protection to the truck(Not much).

The aluminum skid plate is an accessory, and offers next to no protection to the truck. It's an appearance thing.

Real skids are available from several places (Bud Built?) but not from Toyota.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
X2 Frank. The factory skid is only .125 thick. POS in my opinion and I own one. Toyota advertised it as .187 thick:rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Which one is better.

I have an 06 Tacoma Off Road package, it does have an engine skid plate, but the front of the plate is attached to frame member up and behind bumper unit seems like it is steel. A buddy has an 05 same rig, but looks like aluminum skid plate, it attaches under the bumper (more forward than mine) and runs to same rear location as my plate. I think mine may be steel, and his aluminum. Who has the better plate / coverage?? Why different if on same model and package?

I see the larger aluminum plates on Ebay for @ $75.00, is this a decent skid plate or stay with what I have?

thanks

So there's the black one, that is aluminum, and also the silver optional one, also aluminum.

Both suck, I tore up the optional one pretty good a tahuya on a stump that was on the other side of a hill I couldn't see. Hoping to work with someone to fab up a steel set soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, no doubt, near future mod will be fabing some skid plates. I have access to some decent 3/16" plate, but no brake to bend so will cut, fit and weld.

I was at Tayhuya last week back behind the rock garden on south end and got some pounding on the factory skid plate, no real damage, but that's what brought my attention to the factory sheet metal (plate).

Unless you all have other suggestions, will most likely reinforce alum. bumper facade with addtional plate (just below and at front of bumper then) run back as far as these factory guys go.. if not further.....

Not looking for pretty.. just functional..

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Check out Budbuilt.com. Don't know if he has one yet, but it's worth a phone call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts