TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every fall, TTORA has a Moab "mini-takeover". It usually runs 20 - 50 rigs, and isn't really organized, and for a reason - we try to fly under the BLM radar so we don't need a permit (which requires insurance).

I think we should step up and be the unofficial organizers, so there is a little more of a plan than everyone show up and we'll decide what trail and who will lead it.

Thoughts?

·
20,355 Posts

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly - dates are where to begin. We need to select dates that will work for many of us, then we will post on the National Board and invite others.

Usually, it's in late September. We did first week of October once and it was like "to hell with 'wheeling, we need to build an ark" rains.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I can step up and organize. I like the last week of sept....

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Remember I know this... I was the one that told you about the issue of the BLM :D

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'm willing to help :)...trail familiarity at the moment:

Needles district to Bear's Ears excluding Horse Canyon & Impossible Hill
The Maze district
Arches Nat' Park
Cheeeken Corners
Seeecret Spire/Dellenbaugh Tunnel
Hellroaring Arch
Gemini Bridges
Three Arch Canyon

And I plan to get a lot more familiar with new & harder terrain as soon as the truck is rolling proper again. The TBDW list is pretty long.

Troy, I also have the Nat'l Geo maps for pretty much the entire Moab area, from I70 down to Natural Bridges, and from Arches west to about Goblin Valley, and the area around Powell.

-Sean

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah Sean - I've got a gazzilian Moab maps and I'm familiar with every trail except the Maze. I think that and Lockhart basin are the only two areas I have yet to personally be on... ;)

I actually would not mind setting upa maze trip this year rather than doing Island in the Sky again. Just something different. That or Lockhart Basin over to Needles District.

Oh and Tippy and Pritchett have a hot date. And if she is really beefy then she has a date with Area BFE and Upper Helderado!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Mmmmm, Tippy and Pritchett goin' at it! I wonder who's gonna be on top :p.

Tippy, and even my truck, are way overkill for the Maze...but bring every piece of camera gear and hiking equipment you own :D, and you gotta be prepared for the worst. Two rigs minimum, three is perfect, four or five is ok, six I think is the reasonable limit for camping, and a big herd of trucks is really an injustice to the place.

However...Robber's Roost Road in general is a great place to get your skinny pedal on :D...and I have not done the northern entrance.

What I want is Rainbow Road from Moab toward Green River, RRR from Green River to Hans Flat, out to the Dollhouse and then south to Hite, up Beef Basin through Needles, then back to Moab on Lockhart. That's a good week right there.

I think I can get my truck to Rocker Knocker...past it, I dunno...but then Pritchett really starts at Rocker Knocker anyway.

Have you been up Horse Canyon? How about south of Elephant Hill, towards the "parks", around Dark Canyon and Cathedral Point? None of it is hard, but it's worth seeing.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I wheeled with a buddy in Needles like 4 years ago - Elephant Hill and Horse Canyon, it rained a bit then and made for some fun. That was back when I didn't have my own Rig.

Yeah Tippy has done Pritchett once, and that was before she had a good alternator, and 2 days after I rolled. I had no business trying to do yellow hill (after rocker knocker) in the dark, when she kept dying. It scared the crap outta me. LOL But now there are winch points on yellow hill which makes me MUCH happier!

I like your week trip suggestion. Hmm I REALLY want to go this May. What if we did that roundabout in May? Other than I bet all the camp spots are already booked... I'd have to see if Troy is willing to go in May - cuz I can bet Tippy won't be ready by then....

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would be really interesting to see the line your wideass truck would end up on rocker-knocker ... could turn out to be pretty easy really.

As for the Maze.... I wuld be seriously concerned about the range in my truck. It will just barely make White Rim.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've wanted to go to Moab since I was a 14 year old boy droolling over a 4wheel magazine. If I still have my truck, it's on a break, and I'm not poor I'll deffinetly go.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If I can go I'd love to lead Moab Rim, Poison Spider, or Cliff Hanger. I always get lost on Golden Spike/Goldbar Rim (Poison Spiders "extension") so i can't lead that. Same with Hells revenge, I get lost on the Slickrock. Metal Masher is a fun trail in both directions. I just don't know this far in advance if I can go.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Every fall, TTORA has a Moab "mini-takeover". It usually runs 20 - 50 rigs, and isn't really organized, and for a reason - we try to fly under the BLM radar so we don't need a permit (which requires insurance).
I can step up and organize. I like the last week of sept....
Just remember - it can't be TOOO organized, we don't want any trouble with the BLM...
Remember I know this... I was the one that told you about the issue of the BLM :D
LOL... speaking of Moab trips, did I ever tell you they cut Randy's pony tail off! :D

If you do the maze district let me know how that goes... I want to go and do some backpacking and hiking out there one of these days! And we aren't going out to Moab this year... probably 2009 will be the next visit! :)

Ok well hope all is well in Colorado...

·
7,735 Posts
Hey, I've wanted to go to Moab since I was up in northern Cali (loon lake area and all over morman imagrant trail). I'll definitely be scheduling my vacation around this (perhaps I might see you up there on a total coincidence, nudge nudge, wink wink).

Anything I can do to help, just let me know. I'm there.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts