TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got another tacoma finally-02 4x4 2.7l ext cab.after the truck warms up my fan runs almost constantly,on a cool night it will shut off for a minute or 2,then kick back on,the temp gauge never moves once its warmed up,and runs the same temperature my 98 tacoma did.is this a bad clutch,or a tsu.thought bout maybe gettin a colder thermostat and seeing if that keeps it off.my a/c doesnt blow cold either,could this be related?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My fan clutch siezed up last year and I just replaced it with an electric rfan and that freed up a lot of room. I think it is better this way and didn't cost much at all. I couldnt get the temp sensor to work so just hardwired it to a switch in the cab but unless I am sitting in traffic in the summer I have pretty much never had to turn it on. Seems that if yours sometimes shuts off that it wouldnt be as likely that it is the fan clutch, not sure though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is this a Clutch fan or an electric? Is the A/C on when you notice the fan running?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
A colder thermostat would tend to make the fan work more not less.
The engine and ECU is made to work at the stock temp anyway so it's best not to change things unless you have a specific purpose or reason for doing so.

If your fan clutch is messed up, I suggest just replacing it with a new one. All in all, it's the simplest and most straight forward thing to do.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Try moving the fan with your hand. It should move with some resistance. If it doesn't move at all, you've got a bad fan clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it cycles on and off,but 90% of the time its always on.at night it isnt on quite as much ive noticed.sounds like a coal truck taking off,haha.ive concluded my a/c pump isnt turning on at all,the pulley is spinning,but if i have someone push the button the pump doesnt do anything different at all.guess my wheels will have to wait so i can get a pump,fan clutch,and 02 sensor.my 98 had 120k and i never had any troubles with it :mad:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Perhaps the engine is actually running overly hot due to a problme and the fan is just doing it's job.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Have you changed the thermostat?

The thermostat may be defective. The needle on these trucks is made to stay at the middle. It moves really slow, so the temperature changing may not even show.

I would start with that. It's a cheap 10 dollar part. Then if you still have problems, then I'd go with the fan.

At the same time that you do the thermostat, you may want to drain and flush the coolant if that hasn't been done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts