TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why the heck is toyota dropping all their manual transmissions? Seems like by the time I get a new truck, I'm gonna have to do a transmission swap right off the lot.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Cause you cant talk on a cell phone, smoke a cigg, eat your big mac, and shift gears with the manual trans.

Same reason they dropped the manual hubs and lever shift 4wd. People are too fuking lazy to get out and lock the hubs and want to push a button because they think its cool.

We are the few when it comes to demand. Everything I like about the truck is being tossed. I like my auto, but I see what your saying.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
jhunter said:
Cause you cant talk on a cell phone, smoke a cigg, eat your big mac, and shift gears with the manual trans.

Same reason they dropped the manual hubs and lever shift 4wd. People are too fuking lazy to get out and lock the hubs and want to push a button because they think its cool.

We are the few when it comes to demand. Everything I like about the truck is being tossed. I like my auto, but I see what your saying.
lol i got the lever but my had add. lol last of the breed its also 04

·
Registered
947 Posts
No joke, I will have my manual hub, lever shift 99 until it just falls apart. At least you got the lever shift. Not bad for such a late model.

·
Registered
398 Posts
man , that sucks if they are dropping the manuals. i like gears to shift, it gives me somthing to do. plus i like the fact that you know what gear you are in and you control what gear you are in.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm just worried about the state of manual transmissions in general. Seems like most cars are going to Automatic trannies or paddle shift sequentials nowadays. Kinda sucks for those of us who are stick-shifting clutch wielders and love the art of old fashion shifting, as well as the mechanical simplicity associated with it(being able to fix your own vehicle, change a clutch, etc).

If the day ever comes where I can't drive a real stick shift, I will have a hole in my heart greater than any woman could cause.

·
Registered
947 Posts
5vzfe said:
I live in SoCal, an automatic tranny will be in everyone of my vehicles that isn't a sports car cuz traffic is just that bad.
I dont blame you. That shit has got to hurt your leg after about an hour. Probably not very good for it either. I dont mind, I just do not want them to go way offstream from our market. If so, I am going to find another 01-02 with the basics that I like, instead of buying new I guess.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
partyman66 said:
I'm just worried about the state of manual transmissions in general. Seems like most cars are going to Automatic trannies or paddle shift sequentials nowadays. Kinda sucks for those of us who are stick-shifting clutch wielders and love the art of old fashion shifting, as well as the mechanical simplicity associated with it(being able to fix your own vehicle, change a clutch, etc).

If the day ever comes where I can't drive a real stick shift, I will have a hole in my heart greater than any woman could cause.

i agree with you, i love my 5 speed

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jhunter said:
Speak for yourself, I get creative.

Cell with your shoulder, left hand on the meat, knee on the wheel, backhand the shifter, and you still have a free hand for lighting cigs, dialing, or flipping the bird.

·
Registered
947 Posts
SantaCruzRC said:
Speak for yourself, I get creative.

Cell with your shoulder, left hand on the meat, knee on the wheel, backhand the shifter, and you still have a free hand for lighting cigs, dialing, or flipping the bird.
Yea, and a trip to the emergency room soon ;) Possible jail time where you could face man to man :bhump: if you kill someone. However, its your truck and your life. Just please be carefull, would hate to see a member who was that hungry, could not miss a cell call, had to smoke right then, and felt the need to flip the bird while doing all other things die or end up in jail. Just remember, I made a promise to myself. If someone kills my wife and son, and talking on a cell not paying attention was the reason, I am AM going to kill them and will be in jail reading Toyota 4WD (used to be) owner magazines for a long time. :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
partyman66 said:

I am with you too, I have never owned an Automatic in all of my years of driving nor do I have ANY desire to do so anytime soon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jhunter said:
Yea, and a trip to the emergency room soon ;) Possible jail time where you could face man to man :bhump: if you kill someone. However, its your truck and your life. Just please be carefull, would hate to see a member who was that hungry, could not miss a cell call, had to smoke right then, and felt the need to flip the bird while doing all other things die or end up in jail. Just remember, I made a promise to myself. If someone kills my wife and son, and talking on a cell not paying attention was the reason, I am AM going to kill them and will be in jail reading Toyota 4WD (used to be) owner magazines for a long time. :)
Yeah, I was mostly joking. I don't have my cell phone with me 70% of the time, and I don't smoke.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thehackman15 said:
where did you guys see that they are dropping their manual transmission?
Well you haven't been able to get a manual 4runner for a long ass time, no manual tundras, and a few tacomas don't have the option, seems like it's only a matter of time before they drop them from tacomas all together.

edit: quoted the wrong person. oops.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
It is a simple supply and demand issue.

the number of people who want a stick gets smaller and smaller all the time....so why build them if no one is gonna buy them???

·
Registered
947 Posts
SantaCruzRC said:
Yeah, I was mostly joking. I don't have my cell phone with me 70% of the time, and I don't smoke.
Good for you. Glad to hear that. Keep it up. Both will kill you in sooner than later, so its best to stay away from them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts