TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and read about a mod that you do to the flasher relay to make your blinkers not "quick flash." I am plannign on replacing my blinker bulbs with LED's and I don't want my blinkers flashing a million mph and I dont want to add in the load resistor. I did a search and didn't find anything. Can anybody help? Thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why are you replacing them with LED's? Man, you must have every mod on that truck because messing with the turn signals is like on the wayyyy bottom of my list of stuff to do!

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Why are you replacing them with LED's? Man, you must have every mod on that truck because messing with the turn signals is like on the wayyyy bottom of my list of stuff to do!
Great.. thanks for helping him...

You know, I haven't seen anything around here about moding the relay. Just the resistor trick. www.customtacos.com may or may not have more information on this..

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
mgyver1 said:
I have heard and read about a mod that you do to the flasher relay to make your blinkers not "quick flash." I am plannign on replacing my blinker bulbs with LED's and I don't want my blinkers flashing a million mph and I dont want to add in the load resistor. I did a search and didn't find anything. Can anybody help? Thanks.
Blinker fluid?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
97TacoDude said:
Well see I already have the 3.4L so I'm ahead of you on the engine mod. Incase you don't know much about LED's, I'll give you a little run down. LED's use far less amps, never burn out, high shock resistant (which makes them great for people who offroad.....that would be me) because there's no fillament, and are more noticeable due to their "instant" on and off appearance. For people who use their vehicle to sometimes block traffic (like me) the first, second, and fourth reasons would make LED's high on their priority list. No I don't have every mod in the world, but I've got enough mods to put LED blinkers on my "next thing to do" list.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Is it possible to measure the resistance of LED lights and subtract if from the resistance of the regular blinker light bulb and wire in a resister that comes closest to the difference between the two?

Wiring the resistor in after the capacitor.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WallyP226 said:
Is it possible to measure the resistance of LED lights and subtract if from the resistance of the regular blinker light bulb and wire in a resister that comes closest to the difference between the two?

Wiring the resistor in after the capacitor.
Why do the emergency flahers not have the bulb out indicator and the regular flasher does? Does someone make a flasher relay without the bulb out quick flash? Can't I just open up the relay and find a way to bypass the quick flash ability?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
97TacoDude said:
After asking this question, and having others fill you in, I'm sure you'll proclaim yourself a fucking expert on the question...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
atwinda said:
ROFL! and you guys thought I was bad..
You've got youth on your side, and you know a helluva lot more about Tacos than most people your age do, plus you're open to criticism and roll with the punches well.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
mudferret said:
You've got youth on your side, and you know a helluva lot more about Tacos than most people your age do, plus you're open to criticism and roll with the punches well.
LOL, wow *blushes* thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
mgyver1 said:
Why do the emergency flahers not have the bulb out indicator and the regular flasher does? Does someone make a flasher relay without the bulb out quick flash? Can't I just open up the relay and find a way to bypass the quick flash ability?
The flashers and emergency flashers work on the same principle of a relay/ capaciter. The bulb out indicator is a switch, not much different than the one that comes on when the alternator or battery are not working.

Now that I had a chance to look at how the LEDs set ups work, if you got the right resistanced LED lights for say a Tacoma, then the LED blinkers work correctly because they will provide the correct amount of resistance to the relay/ capaciter the resisters are built in on the back of the circuit board of the LED for a specific blinker relay/ capaciter. If you don't get the right resistance LEDs just like getting the wrong blinker bulbs then the blinkers will be faster or slower depending on too much or too little resistance.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
WallyP226 said:
The flashers and emergency flashers work on the same principle of a relay/ capaciter. The bulb out indicator is a switch, not much different than the one that comes on when the alternator or battery are not working.

Now that I had a chance to look at how the LEDs set ups work, if you got the right resistanced LED lights for say a Tacoma, then the LED blinkers work correctly because they will provide the correct amount of resistance to the relay/ capaciter the resisters are built in on the back of the circuit board of the LED for a specific blinker relay/ capaciter. If you don't get the right resistance LEDs just like getting the wrong blinker bulbs then the blinkers will be faster or slower depending on too much or too little resistance.

Hope this helps.
So really, unless someone offers a Tacoma specific LED kit people are stuck measuring the stock ohms, comparing that to the ohms of the LED, and putting a resistor in line to make up the difference?

·
Registered
136 Posts
What bulbs did you get? I bought some a year or so ago and they were too dim. I forgot where I bought them, but they weren't cheap. Problem is that our housings are built for a bulb to reflect and it disperses the light. LED's don't disperse or reflect. Therefore you usually get a dimmer "spot".

I've been working with external LED lightheads ever since they were released for automotive apps. They have come a long way. All of our fire apparatus are now total led, including compartment lights and backup lights. The new larger LED's (luxeon/ TIR 6) are much brighter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
mgyver1 said:
I have heard and read about a mod that you do to the flasher relay to make your blinkers not "quick flash."
http://www.mesa4x4.com/tech_articles/flasher/flasher.html
Go here, read, and apply the idea to the flasher relay in your tacoma. Once you pop open your flasher relay read the number off the chip and go here - http://www.atmel.com/ - and look it up. You can download a pdf that will give you the pin out for that chip. Find the one that is the lamp failure and 'cut' it. No more fast blinkin turn signals.

later!
shane

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
mgyver1 said:
There definately is a way to do it like the guy above me said, I'll try and find the write up but you may want to try searching for it on a Jeep board as it's a common mod for them and the flasher's basically the same. .....Steve

EDIT** He posted the link i was looking for.

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
I just got a new bumper. I just rerouted the stock signal bulb into the marker light and when my LED turn signals came in i tapped a wire of the signal and have them running too. that way i didnt have to put in a resistor nor do i have a fast signal. just a thought. good luck!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts