TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorite spots to wheel/camp around the phx area. One of my favorite areas to camp is sheep bridge crossing. The back way to Crown king is another fav. Any good wheeling spots that are not real popular that i prob. have not heard of?

·
Registered
796 Posts
That is great country out there. Has anyone rebuilt the soaking tub?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sheep Bridge is a cool spot, last time I was there was about 20 years ago though. Yeah that tub was one of the best things about that place, heard it got washed away in the floods a few years ago. Is the bridge still up? I heard that it had been taken down, and only the ends remain, true?

As far as finding some spots to wheel/camp that are not so widely known, I've always liked the Chivo Falls area in Redington Pass, but that's in Tucson. Not exactly Phoenix area, but worth the trip especially when there's water up there.The waterfall is awesome, there's a small cave behind the waterfall, and you can swim in the pool at the bottom if we've had enough rain. There are also 3 rock pools just about a half mile north of the falls that you can (again, if there's been enough rain) swim in.These places are dry much of the year though,so check before you go.

Another spot I like is Gardner Canyon, south of Tucson, just north of Sonoita. Lots of trails, nice scenery, it's fun to wheel there, then take the trail over the mountain, and camp at Madera Canyon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya sheep bridge is a awsome place to go and every time it floods it does wash away the hot tub but people keep building them back, usually crappy ones, but there was one that lasted a long time b/c it was made out of cement but its no longer there. Lastime i went there was an inside part of a fiberglass four person jaccuzi.

How long has it been since youve been there? There are two bridges, the very old one that only the wood and concrete trusses are left and a relitively new one made of steel(its been there for like 15 years)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Table Mesa

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ya sheep bridge is a awsome place to go and every time it floods it does wash away the hot tub but people keep building them back, usually crappy ones, but there was one that lasted a long time b/c it was made out of cement but its no longer there. Lastime i went there was an inside part of a fiberglass four person jaccuzi.

How long has it been since youve been there? There are two bridges, the very old one that only the wood and concrete trusses are left and a relitively new one made of steel(its been there for like 15 years)
Too bad the original bridge was taken down, but I guess it should have been. Last time I was there 20 or so years ago, at that time the thing was mostly rotted away wood planks and rusty cables, it looked straight out of an Indiana Jones movie. There was razor wire at either end to keep people off of it, but that wasn't too hard to bypass.

When I was there, you had to almost had to crawl through a "tunnel" hacked through reeds to get to the tub,which was at that time an old cast iron and porcelain clawfoot style tub.Completely hidden from view by reeds, that tub was a great place to, uh, soak :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya to get to the tub is still the same but a little worse b/c its muddy and steep and your hunched over cause the reeds. oh and its pitch black in the middle of the day in some spots. I love wheeling in tuscon, its just too far away espically with gas prices how they are. Last time I was down there i think I went to the place your talking about desert rat, Chivo falls or something. Ya that was fun we got lost kind of and went up above the falls and then the trail followed the bottom of the wash, and we had to go through a mini boulder field. It was a great time tho. Next time we go down there I heard of this trail called???? I forget but its around that area, I have a 4x4 book that has trails all around the state and its in there.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i have a really good secluded spot on top of four peaks, must have a good 4x4 to get there. also have a really good(my favorite) near hutch mountain, close to flag, also must have a 4x4 to get there, either spot ive been there on holiday weekends and never see anybody else.:D

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I enjoy camping just about anywhere it takes the use of a 4x4 to get to. Going camping for me, is about getting away from as much of civilization as possible. I like the Mogollon Rim in the summer months. Spring and fall, out near Roosevelt. If/when open, the Horsethief Basin by Crown King is ok too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sheeps Crossing is a great place to wheel to and camp!!!

I have not heard of a hot tub there though.

ya if you didn't know it was there you would never have known. It is hidden in a bunch of reeds on the west side of the river. If you walk down the the trail down to the west side of the river under the foot bridge. you will see a trail going into the reeds. Its kind of creepy but if you go far enough you will find it, unless the river just flooded. there is a hot springs that feeds it coming out of the rock face in the reeds so the water in the hot tub is ususally warm, feels good on a cold day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts