TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to throw a set of 37" MTR's under my taco. I know that there is a lot of tires out there people dont always see. Tires like the Discovery Mt, Parnelli dirt grip, and the other off brand you dont hear of that much.

I want everyone to post the tire they have had the most sucess with.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
Cooper Discoverer STT's

...although I wish they made the Nitto Mud Grapplers in my size.
i see your sig says 32x11.50s...i had em in 33x11.50s... thats close

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Oh jeez yet another tire thread.
It's gonna depend entirely on what the truck is used for. Some tires are better in the rocks, some are better in the mud, still others are better in the sand or desert. Some are street and trail driven, some are street only and others are trail only. There is no clear answer nor will there ever be one.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Never had a problem with BFG mud terrains. I had them on my old jeep and they never let me down, wether it was on the rocks, the street, mud or whatever, i loved them. Im going to try out the mickey thompson MTZS when i lift the taco after the new year. They are relatively cheap, and id figure id try something new.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have had the bfg at and mt and they are both good. just depends how much you are on road compared to off road and how extreme the things you do off road are. The mud terrain is definately better off road. I just got some pro comp xterrains put on mine though and they have been great all around. They are good on road and don't make as much noise as the bfg mt and have been great off road for me. They are not quite as good in the mud as the mt but they are great all around.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
ive never had any problems with bfg mts either. they have been a great tire a would recommend them. its the only tire ive ran so far so i dont have anything to compare them to other than the michlein LTX. im not sure what my next tire would be, i want to try something new, but the bfgs are great, so why change?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would have to say mickey t's the mtx baja's great all around tire.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use the Medalist SportKing A/T, I had the BFG A/T but in my opinion the sportking a/ts are not only a whole lot less $$ but their performance is just as good if not better and the wear is INCREDIBLE! just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
BFG AT's. So far I've only put a few miles on them, but I really like 'em a lot. Tread pattern looks aggressive for an AT tire (at least to me), good traction on the dirt, very quiet on the highway, but not good on mud of course. Also, i was told they were easy to balance.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I have the Parnelli Jones Dirt grips (37x12.5x15's) on my truck now. I haven't been able to run them much on the trails as I really tore them up driving to Take Over (drag link loosened up on me and prematurely wore the inside treads down to slicks)

But the first couple of runs I did make on them. I liked them. I went threw one mud pit where the water was over my hood, and the tires pulled me completely threw the pit and then I reversed completely out of it.

On the rocks they have slid some though, but again, I don't know if it is the tires or the condition the tires are in that has caused the slippage. But I would venture to say it was the tires themselves.

Overall, I would say that for street use, they have a decent lifespan but for good traction in the loose stuff, there are better tires out there.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
BFG M/T and A/T all day everyday !! I want the BFG Krawlers !!!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Here's my .03.. I have run many different tires..Cooper M/T's, BFG A/T's, BFG MT's, Pro-Comp MT's and now Interco TRXUS M/T's..I loved the BFG MT's but the Swamper takes the cake in off-road performance and it's manageable on the road. The sidewalls are incredibly tough and the traction is amazing. I always had the sidewall strength issue in the back of my head with the BFG's as I had cut 2 before. There's my .03. :D

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i run a set of 37" mtr's on my sas'd runner, love them, seem to work good, hold a balance and wear ok, run a set of 33" mtrs on my taco and ive had them in deep snow(2 feet), packed snow, mud, and my daily driver, i love them, id to try a set of toyo m/t's but they are way pricey and hard to get. but after seeing them after the parker 400 race on his trophy truck and his hummer (dakar car) and comparing them to the front running bfg's the toyos looked alot better condition. the yoys on those trucks also had DOT numbers!
my .02 i vote for mtr's cheap easy to get and work well all around

·
Registered
523 Posts
I love the BFG M/t. Had them on my old truck and just got a set of 33" on my runner a couple of weeks ago. I had MTRs on there and hated them, took about 13oz of weight for each tire and road forced to 70-99 lbs. My BFGs took about 3-8 oz of weight and road forced anywhere from 8- 26lbs. I work at a tire shop for right now and Good Year has real bad quality control. And there on stike right now. I though i would try them just see what there like but il never put another Good Year tire on any of my trucks again. Im a BFG and Michelin guys for life now. Glad to see some people that have had good luck with there MTRs though. There great off road. No one can argue that. But for the ride and performace of both tires, I would pick the BFGs anyday. :2cents:

·
Registered
661 Posts
BFG MT for all around use. They do have weak sidewalls, I have popped 4 to date.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
19 Participants
royboy333
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing