TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the process of upgrading my front axle to an HP44 HD. Keeping my carrier pinion flange and all outers.

Wanted to know if anyone would be interested in my D44 axle housing (standard rotation, driver drop). The BOM is 610139-3. It was made only for the 81-85 Widetrack Cherokee, J10's and J20's. Pain about this axle is the inner axles shafts have to be custom made if you want alloys. Stocks can be found

4.88 D44 front gearset are Yukons. Although they've been installed since late 2004. They only have a couple of hundred miles on them. Yeah, haven't wheeled as much as I'd like to. As the saying goes, "Family Comes First."

Anyways, reason for upgrade: I recently noticed a crack in the pass. side inner C. Instead of having it re-welded (if at all possible), I'de rather go with something a bit more stout. I do not know if the crack goes all the way through the tubing and won't know until I disassemble everyting. Here's a pic of the crack:

And of the axle (pre-SAS):

Asking $200 for both (OBO). If interested, let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Looks like somone cut the knuckle off to turn it and did not heat the knuckle up before welding it back. Common mistake made by lots of people. Be greatful you didn't loose your wheel on the road. In my opinion you should be able to clean it up, reheat the knuckle and rewled.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Looks like somone cut the knuckle off to turn it and did not heat the knuckle up before welding it back. Common mistake made by lots of people. Be greatful you didn't loose your wheel on the road. In my opinion you should be able to clean it up, reheat the knuckle and rewled.
x2, if someone is serious about buying this they shouldn't let that crack deter them, it's not a big deal to re-do.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have the knuckles rotated to about 6*-7*. I'd rather go with the HP 44 HD axle anyways.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Almost forgot, this sale will include inner axle shafts and u-joints. Need the outers for spares.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TTT.

Have someone in line for the 4.88's.

Anyone want the axle housing for $50? No carrier. Includes stock inner axle shafts and u-joints.

Progress on the HP44: getting the shipping dimensions to set-up pickup. So, the sale of the above items should be set in stone soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When I rotated my inner-C knuckles, I didnt' have to heat them up, as mine are not cast. Parts Mike suggested I keep my forged inner-C knuckles, as he felt they were better than the aftermarket knuckles. Thus far, with 37" tires and extreme trails, no problems.

'87 Grand Wagonner Axle

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
You know, after looking at the pic a little more closely, I see that the weld broke on the tube, not the knuckle. That would lead me to believe it was just a bad weld and had little to do with the heat on the knuckle. It looks like whoever welded it didn't get their bead on the tube and just welded on the knuckle in that particular spot. Anyway, I know it doesn't matter, but I wanted to clear up my previous comment.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, after looking at the pic a little more closely, I see that the weld broke on the tube, not the knuckle. That would lead me to believe it was just a bad weld and had little to do with the heat on the knuckle. It looks like whoever welded it didn't get their bead on the tube and just welded on the knuckle in that particular spot. Anyway, I know it doesn't matter, but I wanted to clear up my previous comment.
The crack is on both sides of the seam. More so on the axle tube side though.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update.

Disassemble the axle, the crack does not go all the way through. I'm having the weld grinded down and re-welded just to get my truck back on the road and until I can get my hp44 shipped to me.

The 4.88's will also be available as well.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
When I rotated my inner-C knuckles, I didnt' have to heat them up, as mine are not cast. Parts Mike suggested I keep my forged inner-C knuckles, as he felt they were better than the aftermarket knuckles. Thus far, with 37" tires and extreme trails, no problems.

'87 Grand Wagonner Axle
How did you find out that it was forged and not cast? Are there any marks that are telltale signs that it's forged?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts