TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feeler: Tube Door Mod

Damn It!!! OK so I mis-spelled "Door" and tried to fix it but it won't update! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I picked up some tube doors from 4xinnovations and I would like to add some extra frame work to them like this:

The idea here is to take the doors (door frame) to a custom canvas shop and have them put on some custom J**p type of door skins.

Now if I didn't live in Colorado where it rains every afternoon I wouldn't even consider this, and this will cost some $$$, but in my mind this is a cool mod I'd like to have done to my rig, especially during Summer.

So I'm looking for a welder out there who might be interested in doing this. I'll provide all the material and supplies, including beer if you want, and of course money.

Also if anyone out there knows of a custom canvas shop that would help too.

As far as a time line when I would like to have this done, I'm in no hurry especially since I and everyone else wants to wheel right now. So possibly the end of Fall, beginning to mid Winter.

·
7,735 Posts
This is along the same lines as I have planned for my eventual half doors. Yours is not going to be simple because of the tight tolerances needed to actually seal into the door frame. You might want to consider picking up a spare set of doors and cutting the center out to fit the tube door section.

Also, I've heard that the canvas shops charge quite a bit as they are used to working with boat owners for this type of work. I'm not looking forward to the quote myself... good luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
cool idea!

a lot of general auto upholstery shops do canvas too, and they might be cheaper than the canvas specialty ones. maybe worth checkin out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I already did! I didn't have premade tube doors, but the idea is the same.The canvas cost me about $550 with windows that zipper down. Cant load pics of the canvas and not sure if the link is going to work either. TTORA Forum > General Tech > Fabrication/Tools
1/2 / tube doors

·
Registered
434 Posts
I already did! I didn't have premade tube doors, but the idea is the same.The canvas cost me about $550 with windows that zipper down. Cant load pics of the canvas and not sure if the link is going to work either. TTORA Forum > General Tech > Fabrication/Tools
1/2 / tube doors
No linky, but it at least allowed me to find the thread.

Here ya go, for the lazy (like me).

1/2 / tube doors

Looks pretty freakin slick actually! You should definitely make a build thread as others are encouraging you to do. That thing looks incredibly well-made, would love to see/read more about it :).

Let me know if you want help getting the pics up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1/2 / tube doors
LOL, ok so maybe not 100% unique idea, but still a mod I want to see through.

Where did you go to have the canvas done?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Honestlly, it would be MUCH easier to start with a set of actual doors, and cut out sections and weld in tube, than to use these tube doors. I'd sell these off, and use that money to fund the rest of the parts. Seems a waste to cut these up to work.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I also would normally be happy to help you with this, but I have WAY too much going on right now. Too bad, as this looks like a great project.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also would normally be happy to help you with this, but I have WAY too much going on right now. Too bad, as this looks like a great project.
No worries, now is not the time I would want to have it done.

Looking more to have it done when the weather is much cooler and the desire to wheel, for me anyway, is less, ie: Winter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got the canvas done at Blazing Auto Trim, but after I got them done, someone said to use Rauls. Still having trouble doing pics, guess I can email some to you so you can see final product.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sent pics. I can probably help you with these, but I'm pretty busy right now. I have all the tools and usually the material as well. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got 'em. Very nice work! Me likey!

I'm in Thornton. So I could come down to you.

But like you said your busy, and I'm in no rush. So, if you want to help just let me know when would be a good time.

Looks like I might be headed to Yota Jims to pick up some 84-88/89 doors, and trying to sell the 4xinnovations tube doors. Unless you would rather mod the tube doors.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm down just east of Colorado Springs and would be happy to help you with either modding the tube doors or cutting up and adding tube to a set of stock doors.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You might PM Davestaco. He does frame work welding and canvas work for a living. He might have some unique insight to make your design work. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts