TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it has been over 14 years of road, dirt, mud, trees, rocks and Texas sun, my factory flares' clear coat is pealing and the color is fading.
I'm debating to remove them or not.
Not thinking of repainting them some black or rubberized coating.

The good, I would no longer need to worry about those damn plastic clips or the rubber gasket.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a post in here somewhere. Someone used a heat gun on them and made his look new again.
Mine are painted plastic...not the rubber versions.
I do know what you mean with the heat gun.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
The biggest issue I have with removing stock fender flares are the ugly holes left.

If I had to do it on my truck, I'd have lots of body work on my hands to fill those holes.

Maybe get a replacement clips that fill the holes and spray them with a color matched spray paint?

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest issue I have with removing stock fender flares are the ugly holes left.

If I had to do it on my truck, I'd have lots of body work on my hands to fill those holes.

Maybe get a replacement clips that fill the holes and spray them with a color matched spray paint?
Holes are ugly, someone on TW, used metal hardware and painted them.
It looks good, he posed it on FB.

Repaint Em!
I have thought about masking and paint them black.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Ben with the 80 series landcruiser painted his black with Raptor liner. It looked really good. the liner is even colorable. check that out.

·
Registered
650 Posts

I think you have bigger body work problems then a few holes to fill from fender flares! LOL

Take them off Nathan. If you don't like it you can always put them back on

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think you have bigger body work problems then a few holes to fill from fender flares! LOL

Take them off Nathan. If you don't like it you can always put them back on
X2 I was going to say that :D

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.......Take them off Nathan. If you don't like it you can always put them back on
True dat, I also really do not care about the square holes too... I can always add/remove the "fillers"

Yep, I have seen his truck posted pic. Real badass looking.
I may do the truck liner stuff later...maybe.

But for now, I will remove the flares and put them into storage, where all my other stock components are. ;)

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is some of the pics of the fender flare removal.
What the flares looked like....pealing clear coat, faded

Tools that I use for removal... had these for a long long time.

Also unbolt the nuts from underneath

Remove the rubber gasket and Pop off the flares

Remove the plastic clips - some you have to rotate and slide out.

Wash off crud and see the difference.

Can you see where the UV fade starts and ends...

Side view

Front view

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
TEJASYOTA
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing