TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of installing 01-04 factory fender flares on my truck. I dont have any flares currently. and of course no holes. is there any templet or any write up on installying flares on a truck that dosent have flares?

my other option would be to skrew them on from the inside of the fender. but i really would like to see if theres a better way out there

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one knows what the spacing is to make the holes so i can install them?! I cant be first person to put stock flares on a truck that came with no flares

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i ever needed to put a new one on that would be a pain. drillings no prob i just dunno where to drill...

I havent looked yet but on the inside of the fender are there any marks where the factory holes would go?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i have heard that if you dont have the holes currently for the flairs you wouldnt need them. The flairs are also held on by 5 or 6 screws within the inner fender and that'll be enough to keep them on, maybe a little 3M to help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your gonna need the holes the problem is that they need to be in a rectangle so that the plastic clips will work. The flares do screw in on the inside but if they are not fassend on the out side they will kind of have big gaps in between them and the sheet metal. but if you went with the tape that would prolly work

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think id someone bumped the fender.. or weather got to them the tape would give way. I have decided i am going to do one of two things...

1. lookfor fastners that fit the flare with the other side (side going into the fender) thats round

2. go buy the stock toyota clips, and drill a hole then use a small file to make it rectangle.

im going to try option one first.. i wish there were markings.. trying tofigure out where to drill is gonna be a pain. maybe i will make a write up on it or something

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was just thinkin that.. i noticed that bushwacker uses adhesive for theres ... not to sturdy i dont think

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you use 3M brand heavy duty tape it will hold I think if combined with the stock inner fender bolts. That stuff is tough.

I think this is what I'll to if I can find a set of stock flares for less than a set of aftermarket ones.

Fred

·
Registered
163 Posts
to onekickkawi
where did you get your fender flairs? dealer? and how much, i know a few people here are looking to get a good price on a set.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm interested where you got them, and prices also.

Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to onekickkawi
where did you get your fender flairs? dealer? and how much, i know a few people here are looking to get a good price on a set.
I'm interested where you got them, and prices also.

Do you have any pics?
haha tooka while of looking for a decent price... i have noo intent on selling the lol.. they were $100

·
Registered
342 Posts
uhmm.... the factory ones from 2000 didn't use holes. they used the screw on the inside and toyota sticky tape it actually molds perfectly to th fender. go to the dealership and sk for the adhesive for the fender flares theycome with alcohol to clean the suface too. mine went on in february (over a year now) in below freezing weather, haven't come off. i've bumped them into trees and they haven't moved. if they haven't come off now they aren't coming off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey mike, how are those flares workin out? did everything arrive in 1 piece?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yup got them on the 19th, thanks again HBtaco!

so heres the skiny if anyone elses is wondering... i have them just bolted on right now from the inner fender and they are staying put reall well, I think i could hit stiff with them and they'lll still stay on.. I am goign to put 3M double stick tape on the inside, but its really not needed.

so if anyone else ever wonders about puttign these on there no flare truck.. they bolt right up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts