TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Reg. cab curently lifted about 3.5-4" in the rear. I have stock leaves w/a fabtech aal that sagged and a 1.25" block. I realize i need 63" chevy 1/2 ton springs from year 88-98, and I saw that CornfedSuspension makes a front hanger so the front is taken care of but for the rear i'm confused on what they mean by double shackle. In a sense it sounds like a revolver except the factory one just chills flat against the frame, therefore moving the rear bracket back so i dont have to chop it up and weld a new one, but what shackle do i add onto the factory one to make it a double? Do i get that 2" one they have on Cornfed? is that the one i'm supposed to add to the factory one, if so how much lift will that give me. I'd really like it to sit level like it is but it seems like it's a real picky deal. Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Do you have a spacer/coilover lift up front? I was under the impression that the 63" chevy spring swap lifted the rear around 5 inches over stock, that is the only thing that is keeping me from swapping them onto my Taco. If you search past posts, it seems that the 63" chevy springs give more lift than you can make up for in the front without a suspension lift via drop brackets like the Trailmaster and fabtech lifts do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading over on pirate4x4 people said they could make it level w/3 -4" lift etc. Wouldn't you just have to make the rear shackle less long?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
KStacoma said:
I have a 98 Reg. cab curently lifted about 3.5-4" in the rear. I have stock leaves w/a fabtech aal that sagged and a 1.25" block. I realize i need 63" chevy 1/2 ton springs from year 88-98, and I saw that CornfedSuspension makes a front hanger so the front is taken care of but for the rear i'm confused on what they mean by double shackle. In a sense it sounds like a revolver except the factory one just chills flat against the frame, therefore moving the rear bracket back so i dont have to chop it up and weld a new one, but what shackle do i add onto the factory one to make it a double? Do i get that 2" one they have on Cornfed? is that the one i'm supposed to add to the factory one, if so how much lift will that give me. I'd really like it to sit level like it is but it seems like it's a real picky deal. Thanks guys.
With '98 and up trucks you don't need to move the rear shackle hanger to fit Chevy springs.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah but i have to add a longer shackle, other wise the axle wouldn't sit centered. I'm trying to figure out how long of a shackle to run etc. so that i can sit level w/my amount of lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You dont have to use a double, a long single would act like a double is what everyone says i think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
KStacoma said:
You dont have to use a double, a long single would act like a double is what everyone says i think.
true, but those of us with only spacer/coilover lifts are limited to 3" lift up front and want to minimize the lift that the Chevy springs give us.

I really think I'm going to try this and minimize the lift so that the rear is no too high. Until I can get around to doing a SAS, it will give my Taco a lot more flex (in the rear at least). I'll just run a double shackle setup for the rear mount and take the overload leaf out of the Chevy leaf pack. That should hopefully keep me to 3" of lift and not any more. Now I'm really glad I ordered those longer travel Pro Comp ES3000 shocks for Taco's with 4" of lift. I'll probably be using that extra travel and length if I do the Chevies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
KStacoma said:
yeah but i have to add a longer shackle, other wise the axle wouldn't sit centered. I'm trying to figure out how long of a shackle to run etc. so that i can sit level w/my amount of lift.
Well, where you put the front spring hanger pretty much determines where the axle is centered. 7.5" forward is pretty close. The springs are pretty flat, so they aren't going to move the axle back under compression a whole lot.

Later,
....Mike
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top