TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally time for me to order my lift. I have some extra money and that's what my truck is missing to me. Going from a 7" Lift and 35" Tires down to a stock truck is really killing me right now. Here are my questions :

Would it be to my advantage to buy my friends Coil setup off his '01? Now he does have a V6 instead of a 4cyl like mine. Would buying this give me any extra amount of lift? I'm buying them from him for only $25 w/ the Bilstein shocks and 18,000 miles on them. They haven't been offroad at all.

My next question would be is how much lift should I buy from Dave? I don't want to go to large though because I'm only running 31" tires. I was thinking about the 2" lift. The V6 coils should give me an extra 1/2" of lift I'm thinking and the AAL for the 2" is the same as the 2.5" so the truck should sit about level. Am I correct?

How many different types of Bilsteins are there? I know that just about everyone on here uses the 5100 or 5150 series, but are those the only ones. What type come with the stock coils for a tacoma? I would like to buy Bilsteins for the rear of the truck as well. Would is just be better to buy the 5100 because they come in a longer length for the lift?

Since I'm going to have a completely new coil setup for the truck. How hard would it be to make it so I can just take out the old and put in the new one? I have heard all you need is a top plate (I think) or can I use the one off the old coil setup when I remove it?

I think that's about all I have for my suspension questions at the moment.I'm sure I will have more as this goes along. Thanks in advanced.

Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
1) check to make sure they are not the trd springs. you can tell as they are progressive and the coils get closer and closer to the top. these ones are a PITA to work a spacer into. the standard v6 coils i think have a greater load rating or whatever since its for the v6 but i dont think youll gain too much lift out of it. maybe half and inch.

2)if youre only running 31's then go with the 2" spacer. but still do the pinch weld mod. and yes to sit the truck about level you want about 1/2 an inch higher upfront.

3)if youre running the stock mounts in the rear stay with the bilstein 5100 or 5150. for the front, just get oe replacement hd bilstein shocks.

4) to install this yourself youll need to rent a coil compressor (autozone or such) a good impact wrench, and a spare hand might help. this helps also http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/CornbredLiftInstall/CornbredLift.htm

hope i helped a bit good luck with the install

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man. that does help out a lot. I'm looking over that link you gave me right now. It does have a lot of information for me.

I have TRD coils on my truck now anyways. What makes them so hard to use with a coil anyways? If that's all I can find then I will make do. I have talked to those that have them on trd coils and they aren't that bad, but I do know what you mean by the rate of them though.

I figured that maybe that little bit of lift to the front would help with the level of the truck. I'm sure it wouldn't give me more then about 1/2 inch.

Chris

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
with 2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the back, my rear end still sits slightly higher than the front

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How come the rear end on the Tacomas always sits higher then the front? I guess I understand that it's for the means of when you have a load in the bed that it wont be pulling down, but come on now.

So, using the V6 coils and 2" lift system would be a good idea?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question about Rear Leafs

I was also wondering about possibly buying a newer set of leaf springs for the rear from my friend that had the '01. I didn't know if they would help for the lift and ride better because they are newer. I know my truck only has 75,000 miles on it but I don't really know when leaf springs go bad or anything or if it's just a look and see kind of thing.

Thanks for everything.
Chris - VA

·
Registered
199 Posts
the v6 coil/spacer combo is good.

as far as your buddies leaf springs are they aftermarket or stockers? if they are stockers then id say foget it. they will just sag to overtime and will just be how yours are now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. That's the route that I'm going to go unless I decide to go ahead and buy some SAW's instead. I'm waiting on some money from an insurance company. I guess it's all about patients at this point now.

I didn't think about them going bad just like mine are right now anyways. Mine don't ride that bad, but I guess they could always be better.

Chris - VA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts