TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit : i have already turned this in to the police did so last week, if anyone has an issue with me leaving up the spool imnformation just speak up ill remove, im kinda hoping someone will run across this and maybe thank me.....pipe dream but what ever

hey i found a giant spool of fiber optic (like 4 ft tall, and like 200 lbs) cable in the middle of the road on my way home from bowling tonight and was wondering if anyone might know whom i should call to see if they are missing some or whatever maybe i can make a couple bucks off of it, its called "COMMSCOPE OPTICAL CABLE LIGHTSCOPE ZWP SM serial 36103052004 04/2005" maybe somebody will know who i should call about this or who i could try and sell it to otherwise im just gonna throw it all away and use the spool for a tv stand or coffee table, it would work great as either lol

thanks for the help, scrow

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ironically right now Qwest is doing a ton of upgrading to their DSL network. The reason I know this is because lately they have been **cking up my connection which is really bad since I am home office based. But you might want to contact them. Although I doubt they will give you anything as they are cheap bastards.

I am sure it is worth a pretty penny. Fiber Optic cable can't be cheap. You might try to sell it on Ebay. :)

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't toss it...

...but I would pull the relevant info off your post, make a few calls around, see if somebody claims to be missing a roll, and then ask them to furnish the information on what they're missing...so somebody doesn't take it off your hands with the ol' "What did you say you have? Yeah, I'm missing some of that..."

-Sean

·
7,735 Posts
Ironically right now Qwest is doing a ton of upgrading to their DSL network. The reason I know this is because lately they have been **cking up my connection which is really bad since I am home office based. But you might want to contact them. Although I doubt they will give you anything as they are cheap bastards.

I am sure it is worth a pretty penny. Fiber Optic cable can't be cheap. You might try to sell it on Ebay. :)
That would explain why it took forever to watch those youtube vids the other day.

And yeah x2, that stuff aint cheap. Look for data centers around your area, they use fiber for the SAN hookups.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I lost a big spool about that size the other day. Fell out of my trailer. It's yellow, has a sleeve, kevlar, then 6 fibers: blue orange green brown gray(slate) and purple(violet).

That stuff is Fing expensive (1-5k) You better turn it in you might get a reward.

http://www.commscope.com/company/eng/product/enterprise_solutions/fiber/index.html

Give them a call they should be able to tell you who it is by the serial #
Corporate Headquarters
CommScope, Inc.
1100 CommScope Place SE
Hickory, North Carolina 28603
(828) 324-2200
(800) 982-1708

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
What Eric Said, and you may contact a few of the Hi-End Home Automation Companies around the area. That is all I used for those applications.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
What Eric Said, and you may contact a few of the Hi-End Home Automation Companies around the area. That is all I used for those applications.
Hi-end Home Automation? In Greeley? Your kidding right?. A few people (like 5) maybe but they already have their castles with motes and gates built.

My money's on Qwest.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My money's on Qwest.
There's a slew of providers in this area, Comcrap, Qwest, lots of little providers you've never heard of. The best bet would be to call CommScope and give them the serial number to find out who it belongs to.

To bad you didn't find a spool of copper!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
ha ha yeah I guess so.

How'd it turn out Andy?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i ended up getting pissed at this 200lbs thing sitting in the back of my truck i took it to the police station and told them i found it and it looked to be a 'spensive unit and that someone is prolly looking for it, and that ild like to turn it over to them maybe they can find the rightful owners.....the cop at the station was so surprised it was almost silly

he was like ummmmmmm sure let me take you information down so i handed him my license and a slip of paper that had all the relevent information on it to make his job even easier and then he was like well pull your truck around to the back ill let you in and then you can help me roll it into the large evidence lock up...........prolly the only time ill see the stuff i did see in there

so we locked it up and he said if they find the owners he would call me and have them call me to thank me or whatever.....i dont expect to ever hear about it again but i dont care either way

yeah when you saw me on 10th st by the police station last week kevin i had literally just dropped it off, oh and i really do prefer to be called andy not andrew lol but whatever you wanna call me ill prolly answer lol

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
ok fixed it scrow. lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts