TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A worthy cause to donate to. :)

From The Register: http://www.theregister.com/2004/12/31/lokitorrent_fights_mpaa/

BitTorrent hub ready to rumble with Hollywood
By Ashlee Vance in Chicago
Published Friday 31st December 2004 23:28 GMT

A brave BitTorrent server operator has decided to pick a fight with the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) and is asking for donations to help it mount a legal defense against the movie studios.

LokiTorrent is one of the numerous BitTorrent hubs being sued by the MPAA for pointing users to copyrighted films. A number of other popular BitTorrent sites shut down their operations after being sent cease and desist letters from the MPAA, but LokiTorrent has vowed to press on and face the studios in court.

At the time of writing, LokiTorrent has raised $22,000 in donations and is seeking a total of $30,000 per month for its defense.

"If you've ever benefitted from this site or file-sharing in general, now is the time to show your support. We are looking at a cost of $30K per month in fees," reads a message on the LokiTorrent site. "Please don't think that reaching 100% will ensure an open and shut case, as we all know the tactics of the MPAA. Recent estimates by attorneys are looking at 2-3 times this amount in a full-on battle. Help us fight back and ensure your right to share doesn't end here."

The site still has links up to plenty of movies such as The Incredibles and Ocean's Twelve.

Internet users have flocked to BitTorrent sites in order to download movies, TV shows, software and games. The technology, developed by Bram Cohen, speeds file transfers by chopping up content and downloading parts from multiple users, according to who offers the fattest pipes to your machine. Files are found not through the application itself but through links on websites. These trigger the code to download the content, grabbing files where possible from peers rather than the initial server.

A number of companies use BitTorrent to distribute their software legally. ®
 

·
Don't get Wenzeled
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
CartmansPnus said:
I cant wait to see what happends....
I've been waiting for this....
they'll lose.
what they're doing is illegal.

just because the MPAA can't find a way to capitalize on the "intraweb" doesn't mean it's ok to distribute they're IP without authorization, evil corporate practices or not.
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nastynate said:
they'll lose.
what they're doing is illegal.

just because the MPAA can't find a way to capitalize on the "intraweb" doesn't mean it's ok to distribute they're IP without authorization, evil corporate practices or not.
I agree, but it is kind of interesting. At least this company is making it more painful financially for the MPAA. The MPAA thought they could capitolize right off the bat like the RIAA did.

I think this company is going about it the wrong way if they are still serving up copyrighted material without consent.
 

·
Don't get Wenzeled
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
I agree, but it is kind of interesting. At least this company is making it more painful financially for the MPAA. The MPAA thought they could capitolize right off the bat like the RIAA did.

I think this company is going about it the wrong way if they are still serving up copyrighted material without consent.
it is interesting... but i don't think this will pain the MPAA in any way. they will only benefit from this, and not monetarily.

how did the RIAA capitalize "right off the bat"? the lawsuits?
the only thing the RIAA has gained is a bad...err, worse reputation, and legal precedence.

this is merely an attempt (both the RIAA and MPAA) to preserve their existing cash cow. they are a dinosaur. i doubt they will be around in 6 years. if they are, it will be in a much smaller capacity then today. unless they change the way they think, they are on their way out.
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nastynate said:
it is interesting... but i don't think this will pain the MPAA in any way. they will only benefit from this, and not monetarily.

how did the RIAA capitalize "right off the bat"? the lawsuits?
the only thing the RIAA has gained is a bad...err, worse reputation, and legal precedence.

this is merely an attempt (both the RIAA and MPAA) to preserve their existing cash cow. they are a dinosaur. i doubt they will be around in 6 years. if they are, it will be in a much smaller capacity then today. unless they change the way they think, they are on their way out.
You think they are on their way out? I just think you don't hear much anymore.

The RIAA capitalized right away by sending lawsuit notices, and then settling out of court. They played the bully tactic and stole people's lunch money. Granted, i do think what the people were doing was illegal, the tactics used by the RIAA were unethical, leading to a terrible reputation. The thing they have going for them though are all of the senators and representatives that they have in their back pocket from all of their "lobbying".

On another note... There is a company being sued for putting ads in fake files that automatically open IE when they are "played". This will probably open up a big nasty virus or worm problem in the not so distant future.

I hope it all dies down within the next few years. The entertinment industry needs to catch up with the times and become more creative at serving the people and less obvious about ripping them off.
 

·
Don't get Wenzeled
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
You think they are on their way out? I just think you don't hear much anymore.

The RIAA capitalized right away by sending lawsuit notices, and then settling out of court. They played the bully tactic and stole people's lunch money. Granted, i do think what the people were doing was illegal, the tactics used by the RIAA were unethical, leading to a terrible reputation. The thing they have going for them though are all of the senators and representatives that they have in their back pocket from all of their "lobbying".

On another note... There is a company being sued for putting ads in fake files that automatically open IE when they are "played". This will probably open up a big nasty virus or worm problem in the not so distant future.

I hope it all dies down within the next few years. The entertinment industry needs to catch up with the times and become more creative at serving the people and less obvious about ripping them off.
if they continue to try and resist the mass distribution power of the internet, then YES, absolutely, they are on their way out. the only way they will survive, is if they adapt and learn to make money off of the internet.

suing ppl is never a way to making money, unless you're a trial lawyer.
they're not suing as a new "business model". they're suing to raise awareness and impose fear into those who would try and steal from them.

you're absolutely right when it comes to lobbying. but this is nothing new or different. ever politician is working for some interest, rarely the ppl's interest.

FYI, the RIAA has had a terrible reputation long before they started suing ppl.
they've been screwing (and me screwing hard) artists for years. it's sad that some artists are ripped off so bad, that the ONLY way they make money is through concerts. yes, some artists in the past have never seen a dime of the money from their CDs sales.

the RIAA only means of making money is via a distribution network (and i don't mean computers).
they perceive the internet as a threat to everything they've built... and it is.
and artist can now distribute his music for very little money and anyone can access it. THAT is what scares them the most.

these lawsuits are just madness. they're wasting their money if you ask me. if they were to take all the money that they're spending on suing ppl, swallow their pride, and make an affordable way to download music (i.e. stop ripping ppl off by selling CDs at 50 times the cost it takes to produce them) then they would be making TONS of money.

historically, piracy is a sign of consumer oppression (unfair/unethical practices).
:soapbox:

ok, i'm done :)
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehehe, nice rant, and right on about everything.

It surprised me to hear the CDs cost something like $0.12 to make and they are still charging $15-$20? I don't know, I listen to XM.... I don't know if that is the actual cost, but that's what I heard on some show like 20/20 or something. It's absolutely rediculous what they do. But I think I am done with this topic for now, it burns me up.
 

·
Don't get Wenzeled
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
hehehe, nice rant, and right on about everything.

It surprised me to hear the CDs cost something like $0.12 to make and they are still charging $15-$20? I don't know, I listen to XM.... I don't know if that is the actual cost, but that's what I heard on some show like 20/20 or something. It's absolutely rediculous what they do. But I think I am done with this topic for now, it burns me up.
yeah, i get a bit passionate about it :D

i just don't buy CDs anymore. i don't like a companies that sue their customers for supposed damages, when it can be argued that it's their own stupidity that has lost them sales, not copyright infringement.

i think i'm done with this as well :banghead:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
A worthy cause to donate to. :)

From The Register: http://www.theregister.com/2004/12/31/lokitorrent_fights_mpaa/

BitTorrent hub ready to rumble with Hollywood
By Ashlee Vance in Chicago
Published Friday 31st December 2004 23:28 GMT

A brave BitTorrent server operator has decided to pick a fight with the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) and is asking for donations to help it mount a legal defense against the movie studios.

LokiTorrent is one of the numerous BitTorrent hubs being sued by the MPAA for pointing users to copyrighted films. A number of other popular BitTorrent sites shut down their operations after being sent cease and desist letters from the MPAA, but LokiTorrent has vowed to press on and face the studios in court.

At the time of writing, LokiTorrent has raised $22,000 in donations and is seeking a total of $30,000 per month for its defense.

"If you've ever benefitted from this site or file-sharing in general, now is the time to show your support. We are looking at a cost of $30K per month in fees," reads a message on the LokiTorrent site. "Please don't think that reaching 100% will ensure an open and shut case, as we all know the tactics of the MPAA. Recent estimates by attorneys are looking at 2-3 times this amount in a full-on battle. Help us fight back and ensure your right to share doesn't end here."

The site still has links up to plenty of movies such as The Incredibles and Ocean's Twelve.

Internet users have flocked to BitTorrent sites in order to download movies, TV shows, software and games. The technology, developed by Bram Cohen, speeds file transfers by chopping up content and downloading parts from multiple users, according to who offers the fattest pipes to your machine. Files are found not through the application itself but through links on websites. These trigger the code to download the content, grabbing files where possible from peers rather than the initial server.

A number of companies use BitTorrent to distribute their software legally. ®
anyone gotten caught?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top