TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have run in to a big problem recently i made a bad ass CO2 system and one of the coolest things about it was i coated with bed liner, the tank worked geat didnt get to cold or anything well i used it all up then yestarday i went to get if filled here in Yuma befor AZ Rocks. The first problem was there is only one place here in Yuma that will fill Co2 the other one only switches them out. anywho i went to take it in to get it filled and they said they would not do it due to the fact that it has "coating on it" they said that they can not refill any bottle that has any paint, coating or is polished. my question to them was dont you fill PowerTank? there repley was No. what the hell, this make on since. so my question is, is this guy a moron or is anyone else running into this problem. also do u know of a place that i can get it refiled on my way to Az Rocks that will for sure not give me shit about this. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There are very few places that will fill "your" bottle, therefore, you must play by their rules. Get to scraping that stuff off and say please and thank you when you take it in for refills or there might be zero places to get fills from pretty soon. Its just a co2 bottle for goodness sake, not a fashion statement. Im sure the guy doing the filling doesnt want to blow himself up filling a defective bottle that someone covered with bedliner (not that yours is deffective, but you should get my point).

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I don't know if its the samething, but
Try a paintball place first and see if they will fill it before you go scraping the stuff off.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In my area there is one place that I know of that will fill your bottle, they fill my powertank but you can still see all of the markings on the bottle and such. However, I have seen them tell people to get lost, so I personally dont want to piss them off b/c then I have no place to get co2 from. I am always very cool to them, and they are usually very cool back... reciprocity can do wonders. But like I said, they know that very few places fill while you wait, and you either play by their rules or dont play. Take it for what its worth, just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Stop by Thunderbird Cylinder on your way out to AzRocks. They've been filling my PowerTank for 3+ years without a single problem. Best part is they are just off I-10 on your way into town.

Address: 4209 E University Dr, Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (602) 437-4600

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#q1=4209+E+University+Dr,+Phoenix+AZ+85034,+us&mag=5&env=F
Im sure the issue he is having is due to the fact that he covered all the date and safety markings on the cylinder. Bottles have to be tested and marked to meet safety laws and by polishing or coating the tank many shops will assume your trying to conceal an old, out of date bottle. Some places may not care, but its a risk your always going to run just so you can have bedliner on your cylinder.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,523 Posts
Im sure the issue he is having is due to the fact that he covered all the date and safety markings on the cylinder. Bottles have to be tested and marked to meet safety laws and by polishing or coating the tank many shops will assume your trying to conceal an old, out of date bottle. Some places may not care, but its a risk your always going to run just so you can have bedliner on your cylinder.
Yup, thats the major concern. Those markings need to be visible. Most importantly is the stamp from the most recent hydrostatic test. That certifies the tank passed inspection and is good for 5 yrs. My local filler wont fill my tank if they cant see that date stamp.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Ahhh....good point!!!

My place prolly won't fill it either then. Best bet would be to call some places and see what they say before going there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, its because of the coating. I ran a paintball shop for 4 years, and i would not fill any tank that was all stickered/polished/etc. It is just a simple saftey thing. I had one accident in my whole 4 years and would not want it to happen again, so i only would take tanks where everything is visible and it looked like the tank had not been tampered with. You will probably have no trouble getting it filled if you get all that bedliner stuff off of it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yup, 2 issues, hydro date stamp has to be visible and they have to be able to see any defect in the bottle. He's not being a moron, he just wants to be able to go home to his family every night. This bottle is the equivalent of a small bomb if it is defective. Clean the bottle off with Aircraft paint stripper and paint it one color and you should be good to go.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
nice comment about the tank being a fashion statement.
that is why i run a generic tank that i can swap at any welding supply shop.also, in and out.no waiting for refill.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
no you can still see all the markings and stamps but i went ahead and razor bladed that stuff off i had a long talk with the guy and said that this has just become a big issue due to a recent accident so FYI from now on MOST places will only take a plain bottle no paint no nothing, PowerTank will be trusted in most cases because they have a good reputation but thats it. o well at least i got it filled befor this weekend thanks for all the posts thought

1 - 15 of 15 Posts