Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I will wash my truck with the tears of liberals tomorrow morning to celebrate this occasion!!

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Those assholes are not liberal in any real sense of the word. A liberal is one who believes in liberty and those asshole certainly do not.
Tyrants or tyrannical maybe but liberal they are not. They just like to call or label themselves liberal to throw everyone off what they really are that is more accurately defined by their actions. If you want to know what someone is, look at what they do, not what they say.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those assholes are not liberal in any real sense of the word. A liberal is one who believes in liberty and those asshole certainly do not.
Tyrants or tyrannical maybe but liberal they are not. They just like to call or label themselves liberal to throw everyone off what they really are that is more accurately defined by their actions. If you want to know what someone is, look at what they do, not what they say.
dang, you getting signal out from Dusy?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Nope I got snowed out. Friday night it started to snow. I woke up at about 10 to take a leak and discovered over an inch on the ground. What I'd heard on the tent that I took for raid was snow and sleet. I called the wife on the cell, as you know you get cell coverage at White Bark, to get an updated forcast for Kaiser Pass. It called for snow all day Saturday and Sunday so I decided to beat a hasty retreat.
Friday night I stuffed what I could in the truck and got the hell out of there while the getting was good.
I left my tent, cot and chairs up there as I couldn't feature trying to pack that shit up and strapping it to the truck in the dead of night with the snow building up. It just isn't worth that much. I didn't want to risk getting caught up there and have them close Kaiser Pass Road on me. Especially as running the trail in the snow was obviously out. I told Ed that whoever got the gear was welcome to it. I'll just buy new. I've already gotten good use out of it all anyway. I don't know about Kaiser now but I did see on the news that Sonora Pass is indeed closed now.

dang, you getting signal out from Dusy?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope I got snowed out. Friday night it started to snow. I woke up at about 10 to take a leak and discovered over an inch on the ground. What I'd heard on the tent that I took for raid was snow and sleet. I called the wife on the cell, as you know you get cell coverage at White Bark, to get an updated forcast for Kaiser Pass. It called for snow all day Saturday and Sunday so I decided to beat a hasty retreat.
Friday night I stuffed what I could in the truck and got the hell out of there while the getting was good.
I left my tent, cot and chairs up there as I couldn't feature trying to pack that shit up and strapping it to the truck in the dead of night with the snow building up. It just isn't worth that much. I didn't want to risk getting caught up there and have them close Kaiser Pass Road on me. Especially as running the trail in the snow was obviously out. I told Ed that whoever got the gear was welcome to it. I'll just buy new. I've already gotten good use out of it all anyway. I don't know about Kaiser now but I did see on the news that Sonora Pass is indeed closed now.
bummer...I know Jim (Edison Lk) had mentioned getting some snow over the weekend but not enough to close anything.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes AND no...

I used to live in SD and was a big desert rat... Glamis and Gordon's Well all the time. I still have friends down there and was talking to him the other day and he told me about Glamis opening back up.

BUT....

A massive section of Gordon's Well is entirely closed (the main entrances to the dunes anyway)

All the closed areas are the primary entrances to and from the dunes for about 99% of the people. Most people camp in the dune buggy flats area all along the southwest area of the closed spaces.

1 step fwd... 2 back??

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/elcentro/maps.Par.96652.File.dat/2014_imperialdunesmap_8x11.pdf

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well not knowing how it was going to be for sure but knowing for a fact that the weather can change in an instant up there, I decided it would be foolish to take chances with it so erred on the side of caution. And as I said, Sonora is closed and it isn't that far from Kaiser.
There are old fools and bold fools but no old bold fools.

bummer...I know Jim (Edison Lk) had mentioned getting some snow over the weekend but not enough to close anything.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well not knowing how it was going to be for sure but knowing for a fact that the weather can change in an instant up there, I decided it would be foolish to take chances with it so erred on the side of caution. And as I said, Sonora is closed and it isn't that far from Kaiser.
There are old fools and bold fools but no old bold fools.
good call, LOL
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-northern-california/1781514-wanting-join-group-going-dusy-6.html#post27989401

post 126

·
7,735 Posts
So... you didn't want to take the time to clean up after yourself and you decided to just leave your shit lying around the forest?

way to go.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
No asshole, I decided not to become a news story and messaged the Fresno group that they could have the gear.
Of course if you're so goddamned conscientious you can go get it and keep it for yourself. It's in an established campground at White Bark and easy to see and find.

If you can't think any better than that then I suggest that you keep your dumb ass out of the woods altogther and in the city so someone else doesn't have to risk their ass to come and save your dumb ass. Or maybe it would be better if Mother Nature just sorted you out.

So... you didn't want to take the time to clean up after yourself and you decided to just leave your shit lying around the forest?

way to go.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Yeah I saw that group go in Friday around noon or so. They were camped at the shitters on Kaiser Pass. They planned to run to the bottom of Thompson Hill then and turn around and come back as all their rigs were trailer queens. I guess they made it out OK then, that's good to know. I think the weather caught everyone off guard as none of this shit was in the forcast. It was supposed to be sunny and warm the whole week. Ed had said that the latest he'd heard the WS say was a slight chance of a snow flurry and that was later on after I'd left home. I think they even had a freak storm out in Phoenix that washed half the town away with flash flooding. Must be Global Warming. LOL

·
7,735 Posts
No asshole, I decided not to become a news story and messaged the Fresno group that they could have the gear.
Of course if you're so goddamned conscientious you can go get it and keep it for yourself. It's in an established campground at White Bark and easy to see and find.
Well, I guess as long as you have an excuse, it's ok to leave shit for others to pick up.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I guess as long as you have an excuse, it's ok to leave shit for others to pick up.
why bother getting into a conversation where you know absolutely nothing about what actually occurred? having a bad day or something?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well then I guess you're a brainless, holyer than thou, fuckstick. You can kiss my ass.

Just so you know, I spent Thrusday afternoon and Friday morning picking up cans, bottles and all sorts of other crap people had left scatterd over that very same campsite. All of that I brought home with me and put in my trash can. I left behind a pitched tent for anyone to take.

·
7,735 Posts
why bother getting into a conversation where you know absolutely nothing about what actually occurred? having a bad day or something?
absolutely nothing? I guess nothing more than a long time member trying to justify leaving shit on the trail.

Well then I guess you're a brainless, holyer than thou, fuckstick. You can kiss my ass.

Just so you know, I spent Thrusday afternoon and Friday morning picking up cans, bottles and all sorts of other crap people had left scatterd over that very same campsite. All of that I brought home with me and put in my trash can. I left behind a pitched tent for anyone to take.
Glad to hear you cleaning up the trail. I do too. Each time I find and pick up shit while I'm on the trail, I wonder what the douche bag was thinking. Being up in nor-cal, where they consistently try to close trails (and succeed), surely you know how important trail cleanup is.

So when you find a long time member commenting how they left their shit laying around, why wouldn't you call them out on it? When someone comes along and finds your camp spot, they aren't going to comment on how you cleaned up glass/cans/etc, they'll find your tent and wonder what douche bag couldn't be bothered with picking up their shit when they left.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Sometimes unless you have knowledge specific to the occasion or have no skin the game you need to learn when it's wiser to keep your mouth shut. Otherwise you're bound to keep shoving your head even deeper into your ass and make even more of a fool of yourself. No one is entitled to anything for free, including unsolicited opinions.

As you say I've been around for a long, long time so you should already know that it wasn't a decision I took lightly and it wasn't left laying around as you say. The tent was left standing and it's gonna cost me a few hunderd bucks to replace it all. Not that the money is really worth anything considering the possible alternative that presented itself. Weather at that altitude in the Sierra, especially at this time of year is highly volitile and unpredictable and nothing that anyone with any branis takes lightly or messes around with. To do so invites deep deep dodo.

absolutely nothing? I guess nothing more than a long time member trying to justify leaving shit on the trail.

Glad to hear you cleaning up the trail. I do too. Each time I find and pick up shit while I'm on the trail, I wonder what the douche bag was thinking. Being up in nor-cal, where they consistently try to close trails (and succeed), surely you know how important trail cleanup is.

So when you find a long time member commenting how they left their shit laying around, why wouldn't you call them out on it? When someone comes along and finds your camp spot, they aren't going to comment on how you cleaned up glass/cans/etc, they'll find your tent and wonder what douche bag couldn't be bothered with picking up their shit when they left.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Sometimes unless you have knowledge specific to the occasion or have no skin the game you need to learn when it's wiser to keep your mouth shut. Otherwise you're bound to keep shoving your head even deeper into your ass and make even more of a fool of yourself. No one is entitled to anything for free, including unsolicited opinions.

As you say I've been around for a long, long time so you should already know that it wasn't a decision I took lightly and it wasn't left laying around as you say. The tent was left standing and it's gonna cost me a few hunderd bucks to replace it all. Not that the money is really worth anything considering the possible alternative that presented itself. Weather at that altitude in the Sierra, especially at this time of year is highly volitile and unpredictable and nothing that anyone with any branis takes lightly or messes around with. To do so invites deep deep dodo.
You see Dick. This is why I rarely come over here anymore. Too many people think they know more or can wheel better from behind a computer screen.

I've rarely come across anyone as well prepared to clean up a site as you and yet you get slammed from someone behind a computer screen for doing something smart. Each year we hear of some "expert" hiker who got caught in a storm up there and they never find them. Or worse, they find their bodies. You sir made sure that 1. there was no extra man power and resources looking for you and 2. that you made it out safe, not putting others lives in jeopardy.

But some people just can't see that.

I'm outta here for another year....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts