1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Western Fires: The Next Katrina?
Idaho Mountain Express | Editorial

Friday 18 May 2007

Once again, the Iraq war is taking precedence over needs of Americans. This time, the U.S. Forest Service is taking a beating.

After announcing a $64 million budget cut, the Forest Service's parent, the Department of Agriculture, flatly announced in a preamble to the budget that "the 2008 budget responds to our Nation's priorities for fighting the War on Terror...."

Were this a onetime reduction in spending on the 102-year-old Forest Service, the impact might be easier to absorb. But it isn't. The Forest Service has been taking it on the chin for several years with personnel cutbacks, reductions in repair and maintenance, deteriorating facilities and closure of visitor services.

But more troubling now is the new budget burden being thrust on the Forest Service for fighting forest fires.

Costs to fight forest fires have grown from 13 percent of the Forest Service budget in 1991 to 45 percent last year, due largely to more severe, drought-driven fires in the West and the need to protect increased numbers of woodlands homes.

Compounding the problem is a change in philosophy at the White House. Instead of receiving special appropriations for fighting forest fires so other Forest Service operations remain fully funded, the Forest Service is being told to fight fires with regular operating monies. In other words, big fires will inevitably shortchange other forest services.

As former Forest Service chief Dale Bosworth recently said, "It would be like Congress telling FEMA after a major hurricane to suck it up and pay for it out of its annual budget. It's crazy. These (forest fires) are national emergencies."

Bosworth and four other former chiefs sent a jointly signed letter to Congress complaining about the funding shortfall and the effect long-term budgetary neglect is having on the 193 million acres the Forest Service controls.

Other domestic emergency services programs also are being shortchanged because of the war. State governors have complained to President Bush that trucks and equipment used by National Guard units in their states for natural disasters have been sent to Iraq and left there or destroyed, without any replacement.

Something's wrong with this picture. A virtual blank check for the war in Iraq is shortchanging American disaster programs at home.

If the White House and Congress continue this casual regard for the costs of fighting forest fires, it won't be long before the western United States faces its own kind of Katrina syndrome - the slow, indifferent and inadequate federal response to a major hurricane that left New Orleans in shambles.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If the FS is so god damned worried about the ability to fight fires, why in hell are they closing all the acess trails?

You can take your anitiwar dialog and shove it up your ass too. I'd rather spend my tax dollars on those who defend our country than the fucked up Forest Service who apparenlty only works for the Sierra Club now.

Here's an idea, let the fucking Sierra Club send them some money.

·
Registered
718 Posts
the sierra club is retarted. dick, just think, what would happen if there was a forest fire just outside los gatos? sure i bet fire departments would do their best to respond, but fighting a forest fire is a lot different than a structure fire. the forest service tries their best to take care of the forest before, during and after any forest fire. i dont think this thread is about anitwar, its more about making sure we take care the country we live in.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
#1 I saw a lot of anti war propaganda in that piece.

#2 I don't know about you but for all the good they are doing me in my desire to wheel on and enjoy public land, the FS can go fuck themselves. I think I'd be better off if they died out altogether. As far as I'm concerned, they are just another over bloated government bureaucracy and money sink that's out of control and out to control our every move. That is when they aren't down on their knees and too busy giving head to the Sierra Club.

#3 I don't have any pity for and don't feel the need to protect fucksticks who are stupid enough to build their houses in the mist of a forest that is apt to burn, or on a hill side that is apt to slide when it rains or on a known flood plane that is apt to flood. It just ain't natural and is againt Darwin's Theory of how evolution works. Helping them to survive their stupidity is bad for our species so in a way it's wrong. LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Idaho Mountain Express is not some anti-war rag, they are a local paper looking at their situation. Most of the northern half of Idaho is national forest and their only resouce for fighting fires is the forest service and the National Guard. We know where the guards resources are. State govenors across the countary are complaining about their ability to respond to emergencies with the guards resources all in Iraq. Yes I am complaining about how mismanged the war is and what is happening to our ability to take care of business here. Sorry Dick if it sounds too anti-war for you but to me it sounds like America first.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That piece was complete anti-war.
Why was there no mention of all the money the Feds waste on illegal aliens?
Medicaid?
Medicare?
Welfare?
Aid to people with dependant children?
Aid to Africa?
Aid to Palestinians?
Aid Hamas?
Aid to every F*ing county in the world?
All the pork projects the Congress hides in appropriation bills?
All the money that is thrown at schools hoping they might get better?

Because they writer was biased on the war.

If the people in Idaho did not build their homes in the thick of the woods, if they cleared the flammable crap from around their houses, and took some responsibility there would be less of a problem…..I know, I know, they don’t want to look like California…even though a large percentage of them are ex-Californians who bailed on a failing state.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Forest fires are often a natural occurance and are often just part of the cycle of life that nature experiences. When we humans move in, I think it should just be part of the understood risk that their is potential for all types of things to happen. Either let the forests burn and thin themselves out, allow regulated harvest of woodlands, and/or tell people that if they don't take propper steps to reduce loss on their own property that they can deal with said consequences on their own. Just another flippen "boo-friggen-hoo woe is me I'm a victim" type of bull shit that is so common place in a declining society.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Forest fires are often a natural occurance and are often just part of the cycle of life that nature experiences. When we humans move in, I think it should just be part of the understood risk that their is potential for all types of things to happen. Either let the forests burn and thin themselves out, allow regulated harvest of woodlands, and/or tell people that if they don't take propper steps to reduce loss on their own property that they can deal with said consequences on their own. Just another flippen "boo-friggen-hoo woe is me I'm a victim" type of bull shit that is so common place in a declining society.
Completely agreed...forest/deserts survived long before we had to come and put out the fires. You build along the south-east coast...expect hurricanes, build in Cali...expext earthquakes, build in a forest...expect fires. Part of the reasons fires are more destructive now is we don't let them burn as nature did before. Fire is good in some instances, it's the only time certain trees release seeds.

And yes the article was squewed very anti-war.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i dont think this thread is about anitwar, its more about making sure we take care the country we live in.
Did you read the first line? :lmao: Doesn't seem slanted at all...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Equipment

Did you read the first line? :lmao: Doesn't seem slanted at all...
Many units of the National Guard have been sent with equipment to Iraq and had to return with out them, or very damaged. Not very good planning.
Is the states budgets supposed to replace this equipment?
Just asking.
I agree with people stating "hey you choose to build out in the woods, or flood plain, or on a fault line." That airport was here long before you bought or built your house next to it. I don't fell to sorry for them, read a map, see where you are and think about worst case....
I'm worried about natural resources being lost and huge areas destroyed because of past poor practice of management. I was in Yellowstone a few days before the fire storm went thru and visited the next summer. It was changed.
There were places that were merely singed to places the ground for miles was sterilized. There was on dry white/grey powder with nothing coming back.
I wouldn't like to see that happen anywhere again in this country if it could be helped

·
Registered
597 Posts
Completely agreed...forest/deserts survived long before we had to come and put out the fires. You build along the south-east coast...expect hurricanes, build in Cali...expext earthquakes, build in a forest...expect fires. Part of the reasons fires are more destructive now is we don't let them burn as nature did before. Fire is good in some instances, it's the only time certain trees release seeds.

And yes the article was squewed very anti-war.
ding ding ding we have a winner

Or we don't allow logging in areas that darastically need maintenance, stupid environmentalist whackos

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
let Idaho burn, all I ever hear from that side of the world is how great their taters are!

·
Registered
597 Posts
let Idaho burn, all I ever hear from that side of the world is how great their taters are!
I hope that is all that ever gets out of Idaho, our lack of reputation is it's saving grace!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts