TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for some new tires, trying to decide between the everyday common place BFG A/T's, BFG M/T's, and the Firestone Destination M/T's... I really like the way the destination's look, but being a reletivley new tire... I wanted to get some input on these suckers. Anyone runnin' this? How's the road noise on both the BFG M/T's and the Destinations?

For someone who does 95% of the driving on the road, and the other 5% not, looking for an 'aggresively styled' tread pattern, and doesn't wanna pay an arm and a leg for each tire... anyone got any suggestions or comments on the above listed?

I will most likley be running 30x9.5 or 31x10.5 on a 15x8 wheel. I have a 1998 2.7L 4x4 xtra cab.

Comments Anyone? Please! :D

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
If your going to be running 95% on the road, and you want good life out of your tires, then the BFG A/T's will be good. Also, what type of wheeling do you do? The types of wheeling you do also can help determine what kind of tires to get. If it was me, however, I would go with the BFG A/T b/c theyre fairly aggresive and they'll last longer then the M/T's . Thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what type of wheeling you ask?... It's mostly muddin back through open fields/creeks/woods, and if we get any "aggressive notions", then my group heads through some deep creeks and steep hills in the area which go in and out of the creeks; Nothing like rock crawling or super aggressive manuevers.

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
Well if most of your wheeling is mudding and creeks, then I think the M/T's would be better for the wheeling you do. What I think it boils down to is how long you want your tires to last. The A/T's will last longer, but will not give you as much performance in the mud and wheeling that you do as a M/T would do. A M/T will not last as long, but will give you better performance for wheeling, plus they look more aggresive. I'm not sure, but if your willing to buy tires a little sooner, then go with the muds.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Firestone Destination M/T but I hear only good things. Very good ratings at www.tirerack.com also. Higher than the BFG's.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
calamaridog said:
I have no personal experience with the Firestone Destination M/T but I hear only good things. Very good ratings at www.tirerack.com also. Higher than the BFG's.
Thats actually why I asked. They were getting much better ratings than the BFG's, but because under 1,000,000 miles have been reported on them (as opposed to the 42,000,000+ for the BFG) It sounded like a reletivley new tire. Wanted to hear what your thoughts are on it!! :cool:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wheeled with a jeeper who had the Destinations, and he hates them. In mud they get all caked up. my BFG muds worked alot better in the goo. So did my buddies pro comp mt's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Hot Doggin I had the same decision to make awhile back and went with the Destination M/T's on my '04 and am really glad I did. I have a 90 mile commute every day, and highway manners are really good for an MT. I only get the chance to go offroad in the fall and winter for hunting, and I could have easily gotten away with an AT tire, but I read several positive reviews about the destinations and thought the looks were killer. I have the 31x10.5's mounted black side out on the 15" aluminum rims that came on the older Tacomas. Oh yeah I also spray painted the rims with an industrial matte black paint...looks really good.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much longer you guys think the Destination's will last over the BFG A/T's? At this point it's mostly a choice between tire wear/tread length... and possibly price.... Destinations are a hair more expensive, but damn man those looks are worth it! (that's the kid in me speaking!!)

·
Registered
351 Posts
i had bfg ats on my silverado and s-10...........i don't think you can wear them out. had 30+k on the rado before i traded and they looked dang near new. same with the s-10. i don't think any mt will last as long as the bfg at. but the looks and added traction off road of the mt's will outweight the slight edge the a/t has in longevity.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have had not one, but 3 Firestone tires go boom on me. The second set, they gave me bridgestones. This was to replace the warranty/recall tires. Great...I had 1 of those separate the tread, too. I am on bfg's with my big trucks, and with my taco I have the goodyear. Bridgestone/firestone just plain scare me. I hope for their sake they have it all worked out, but I'm gonna let you find out first. BTW, they had another, smaller recall last year. Tread separation again. I understand it mostly affects full size trucks, and not the smaller trucks. So I guess that is good.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the Destination M/Ts and love them. I just dont like the BFG at's as far as looks go, even the MTs for that matter. They Firestones look as good as wrangler mtrs. I have 6K on mine right now and no sign of wear at all. They are very quiet on road. They have great traction off-road. Plus compared to tires in the same category they are fairly cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts