TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my cruise did not work the other day on the freeway. The light comes on, but would not set (hold) speed. Then the next day I tried it again, and it worked this time. Then the next day, I am using cruise and it starts accelerating out of no where. I let it go to try to see what it was doing, but as it started rounding 90mph I turned it off. Then today (day 4) I notice my blinkers are not working. They don't do ANYTHING... no blinking on the dash, no blinking on the truck. The cruise still doesn't work either. My head lights work. My tail lights work, and my horn works. Anyone have any ideas? What should I start checking first? THANKS!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to add a few things... just drove it again... the hazards DO work... just not the blinkers. The cruise control is not even lighting up anymore when I try to turn it on... it is almost like that whole switch area on the column is dead... I am suppose to drive to the Guadalupe River this weekend so I need my blinkers working... any help will be greatly appriciated!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
First Cruise Control, Now Blinkers...

Bump

·
Registered
58 Posts
I too would also like to know the answer to this ?. in the winter months usually or when its colder outside my cruise acts up like that too, the light comes on but it will not hold speed. i have not experienced the blinker problem yet thankfully, i wonder if it is the igniton switch starting to go bad.. my old ford one day i was driving it and had no turn signals, heater, ac or nothing, i replaced the switch (not the key switch part) and it has worked fine ever since, so hopefully someone else will chime in with the answer, if not give that a try!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Common problem on salvaged tacoma's or when your mileage gets high...

I had a '99 that would work sporadically, pissed me off.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
One cause for a sporadic cruise control is the throttle cable from the cruise control needing to be tightened up. that has helped a few people.

but that does not explain the other symptoms the O.P had been experiencing.

To start the diagonisis process, do you have an air bag light on?

My first guess would be the spiral cable behind the airbag on the steering wheel. but they don't typically knock out the turn signals.

You might also try swapping out the turn signal relay. On these taco's I have seen stranger things (unrelated systems) cause issues with other parts of the truck.

Hell I even blew a fuse for my head lights and it still worked! Electrical gremlins can be fun! so good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Apparently no one could fix it, or the air bag light... Never get a salvaged if you want to baby it. Pain in the ass. It was good for commuting to college and slight offroading fun.

I don't know if yours is salvaged or not...

One other thing I forgot to mention is that on cold days especially early in the morning, it wouldn't work. Worked very well on a hot summer day!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, my truck is NOT salvaged... it has NEVER been wrecked even. It does not have the air bag light on either... any other ideas?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured it out... mine had a CRAP load of fuses blown under the dash... my brake lights were not working either. The cruise control is tied into the brakes so it can sense when to turn off when you hit the brakes... so I don't know if the brake lights popped the fuse, or if the cruise popped the fuse... it had to have happened for some reason so we will see if it happens again... my blinker fuse was popped too... I am think mud and water got into my trailer connection under the back of my truck... I have been doing a lot of deep water crossing lately...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts