TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this problem has been going on for a while, but now has gotten worse. My truck is a 1998, Toyota Tacmo, 3.4L 6cy, 4x4, TRD, SR5, Stick shift, 160K miles

Now, I put the truck in first gear, and I accelerate, then, BOOM, the stick shift pops out, and I am out of gear. It used to only happen occasionally, but now it's happening all the time. I used to be able to hold it in first, but now if I try, it'll pop out a little then go back in (without the clutch being pressed). This only happens in first gear and not in any other gear.

I just recently replaced the clutch.

Anyone know the dianostic? It'd really help...I'm starting to worry about my baby.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Mine would do that occasionally when I did not fully engage the shifter fork into the gear. Take off from a light and bam, out of gear!

you might have worn down the teeth on first gear to where it won't stay engaged.

Not much help for you, but there you go. Try making sure you have the shifter pushed all the way up into gear. Double clutching might help as well. but I really don't think it has anything to do with the clutch.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
SunTzu said:
Okay, so this problem has been going on for a while, but now has gotten worse. My truck is a 1998, Toyota Tacmo, 3.4L 6cy, 4x4, TRD, SR5, Stick shift, 160K miles

Now, I put the truck in first gear, and I accelerate, then, BOOM, the stick shift pops out, and I am out of gear. It used to only happen occasionally, but now it's happening all the time. I used to be able to hold it in first, but now if I try, it'll pop out a little then go back in (without the clutch being pressed). This only happens in first gear and not in any other gear.

Anyone know the dianostic? It'd really help...I'm starting to worry about my baby.
Some "Not very useful but FYI". The same thing would happen to my 3rd gear. It would pop out under acceleration. After a few weeks of doing so, it went away.

I've heard somewhere that the shifter book can get caught and pop the shifter out of gear but for all I know that could be a bunch of BS.

Good luck!

~Miguel

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
try changing the plastic bushing at the end of the shifter on the inside of the transmission and see if that fixes it first

·
Registered
908 Posts
What lavos said........I have seen it on pre 95 ..........More than once!!!!!!!

Once upon a time I had a link for them about 14 bucks Possibly pirate is where I found link

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2000 has been doing the same thing since I bought it. I would take the advise & change the $20 bushing for the gear shift just ask the dealer & they'll get it for you....if that doesn't work call Marlin Crawler & tell them your issue. I ended up buying a rebuilt from them, but mine is super bad. They make a cnc bearing retainer for our trannys that keeps the insides(1st & 3rd shaft?)from moving forward & backward & therefore popping out of gear. I think its only like$50...I'm doin my clutch/Flywheel/tranny this weekend-FUN!!-Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts

Please let me know if you fixed this!!! same issue here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts