TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I have been wheeling my truck for about 2 1/2 months now almost every weekend at Spring Creek... it is mostly mud and sand with trees everywhere down the side of the trails. I have only been stuck once, despite A/T's and open diff's. That being said, I am stuck between three choices for my first mod. Either a Powertrax No-Slip Locker, Sliders, or 265/70R16 Super Swamper SSR's.

Now I have already got one VERY small dent in my rocker panel from using momentum to get up a washout which cost me a small minor dent... but at the same time, I think if I would have had a locker, I would not have needed the momentum and would have avoided the dent...

Also, what will give me more of a traction advantage... going from BFG A/T's to Super Swamper SSR's, or keeping the BFG A/T's for now, and getting the Powertrax No-Slip?

Or should I just get the sliders and use momentum till I save up more money for the other mods? See my dilemma?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I vote locker, because even if you have traction, and only one wheel pulling, the traction won't do you all that bit of good.
Why not get locker, and sliders. sliders aren't that much.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
ive got the powertraxx no slip and i recommend that first. sliders are cheap so them second or just build them, and if you cant do it yourself try to find a friend. locker all the way

·
Registered
415 Posts
deff lock it up first. Then sliders then do your lift and rubber all in one big shot. No use spendin money on some 265s now when in a few months you will want to lift it and go with 285s.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i had the locker stock and i still got dents before getting sliders. with a locker, you are just going to get yourself in even more dent causing situations. i say either get both at the same time, locker and sliders, or get sliders first.

i too would also wait to get tires at the same time as a lift. no point in spending money on new tires if they are the same size as stock when you plan to lift eventually. i have been wheeling bfg all terrains on tough trails with little trouble for awhile now but im also locked in the rear. sliders and a rear locker will do wonders with your a/t.

·
Registered
422 Posts
x2 what purity said. i'm also running all terrains with a rear locker and sliders. you'll be suprised how well it does

·
Registered
93 Posts
1. Sliders. Can't say how much $ this has already saved me in damage.
2. Lockers. You already know why you need them.
3. Lift and tires if you like it. I made the mistake of getting 265-70's a few months before I realized I needed more ground clearance so I needed lift + tires.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i say get the sliders, if you do decide to go with the locker plan ahead and re gear at the same time, it will save you cash and down time in the long run.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Get the locker first cuz traction with one tire isn't as good as having full control even with smaller tires for the time being.. then get sliders... thay don't cost all that much... tires last but still importante. ¿comprende migo?

·
Registered
779 Posts
blackbear said:
i say get the sliders, if you do decide to go with the locker plan ahead and re gear at the same time, it will save you cash and down time in the long run.
very good point didn't even think of that... how beefed up are you planning on making this rig?? if you are building it up get the sliders first then, like BB said re-gear at same time you get the locker and hey why not throw in a front locker as well? what's your final budget for your project???

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't plan on doing more then a 3" coilover lift. I might not even crank it up all the way to 3", more like 2". I plan on pounding the weld in the fender well though, so I can fit a little bigger tires and not rub as much. I honestly didn't want to go bigger then 32.50X11.50 (or 10.50). This is my daily driver so I don't want to get too crazy with it. Basically once I get a rear locker, some M/T's around 32", sliders and a 3" coilover lift... I will be done.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Now I have already got one VERY small dent in my rocker panel from using momentum to get up a washout which cost me a small minor dent... but at the same time, I think if I would have had a locker, I would not have needed the momentum and would have avoided the dent...
I have one very LARGE dent from doing the same thing. :( Swore to myself I'd never again wheel without sliders, but I still do, I'm just more careful.

All 3 mods are important, it just depends on how well/careful you drive on the trail. I agree with the other guys as far as installing a locker and regearing it at the same time and tires/lift at the same time. It'll save you money and down time - :2cents: :saw:

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Sliders..You probably won't like a non selectable rear locker in a daily driven 5-spd truck..Just my .02

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also checked my factory axle codes and I have 4.10 gears from the factory... I am pretty sure that should do just fine as long as I don't go any bigger then 32" tires.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
My vote is for sliders, then locker, then tires. In that order!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Blinn79 said:
This is my daily driver so I don't want to get too crazy with it. Basically once I get a rear locker, some M/T's around 32", sliders and a 3" coilover lift... I will be done.
I remember saying that :rolleyes:
Didnt last long ;)

But I also recommend if your gonna get a locker, might as well regear at the same time- If your really not planning on getting too ruff, get sliders for now, and see how you like em, then take the next step.. :2cents:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts