TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my buddy just bought an '85 4 runner 4x4 5 spd. it has the SA and EFI. we think it has a cam in the motor and it allready has headers.
the guy he bought it from said it has a 4" lift on it. i cant see anything lifting the front so its got to have springs but the back has 4" blocks.

he wants to make this a nice, capable rock crawler, but still be daily driveable.

heres a pic from when we went offroading

i figure the first thing he should do is get sliders. after that, locker(s).

what do you guys think?

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
I'd get rid of the blocks first. A friend of mine damaged his truck pretty bad when the rear axel broke loose and shredded the bed(sheet metal and drive shaft and more). I suspect it was mainly due to the blocks. Then I would do what you said as well as a high steer(crossover).

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
check out the magazine 4x4 Builder, look for the RED 85 the ownerof POwerTank, Steve Sasaki
check it out!!!!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump, any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Im going through the same process right now. I installed Crossover Hy steer a couple weeks ago. I need to get a stablizer on it now. I ve still go to do sliders and bumpers. Im going to do a swing out tire carrier so I will still have room in the back A 35" takes up the whole storage area. Mine has a Detroit LSD in the front that is comming out I can't stand it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If all the mechanical stuff is sound (I mean, really sound and double checked) then I'd say rip those blocks off the back and start with some new leafs, shackles, shocks all the way around. That will be the basis for just about any other change he does to it for offroading purposes.

Another thing I would highly recomend is looking into doing the front vented rotor, caliper and Master Cy upgrade. People seem to have a lot of good things to say about it.

You can never argue with having new brakes on an old vehilce.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hands down, 1st gears,lockers and a 4.7 tcase. then body armor cause the drivetrain mods will allow him to tackle much harder trails. Sliders will help keep his body intact but lockers and a 4.7 tcase will help him get off the trail and back home. I personally would rather take a dent than to have to let my rig sit overnight in a hole cause i am not locked up front and rear.buy a cheapo harbor freight pipe bender and welder and make your own sliders and bumpers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For sure get rid of the blocks. If he keeps it 4" or under he won't need to change out the steering, lenghten the drive shafts and live with constant vibrations on the road. Lots of ways to do it and that just depends on the $$ he's got.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like lower tcase gears first, then rear locker, then front locker, then sliders, armor, tires, chevies rear, rears up front, crossover steering. BTDT with 87 runner and 85 PU, now doing same to taco. :)

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well it looks like the 1st thing he wants to do is a rear locker. what are the options? i know lockright/noslip but is there any other options?

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
drabnor said:
hey guys, my buddy just bought an '85 4 runner 4x4 5 spd. it has the SA and EFI. we think it has a cam in the motor and it allready has headers.
the guy he bought it from said it has a 4" lift on it. i cant see anything lifting the front so its got to have springs but the back has 4" blocks.

he wants to make this a nice, capable rock crawler, but still be daily driveable.

heres a pic from when we went offroading

i figure the first thing he should do is get sliders. after that, locker(s).

what do you guys think?

One go read Pirate4x4, they have a lot of build up info. I have a friends 85 runner parked at my place, that I helped do a lot of work on. You can put on 63 chevys in the rear, and move the rear leaves up front. Add on a second transfer case, and some lockers.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
drabnor said:
well it looks like the 1st thing he wants to do is a rear locker. what are the options? i know lockright/noslip but is there any other options?

Can you do a detriot, and retro fit an Elocker.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ted said:
Can you do a detriot, and retro fit an Elocker.
i dont know, thats why i'm asking :rolleyes:

retrofiting the e-locker is way too much work

·
Registered
118 Posts
tacoterror said:
hands down, 1st gears,lockers and a 4.7 tcase. then body armor cause the drivetrain mods will allow him to tackle much harder trails.
Yep. My junk is stock height IFS, with a spooled rear end and dual t-cases. It'll go more places than a solid axle rig with 35"s, open diffs, and tons of armor.

·
Registered
965 Posts
BeaterToyota said:
Yep. My junk is stock height IFS, with a spooled rear end and dual t-cases. It'll go more places than a solid axle rig with 35"s, open diffs, and tons of armor.
Yup beaters junk gets it done. I've seen that thing in action and its the shit.

personal opinion what i would do.

gears and lockers-make a huge difference on road cause of the gearing and lockers well you know. BTW dont overlook the aussie locker. I got one in ft and it works awsome. Broke a couple birfs and stuff wih no damage to the locker.

T-case gears-slower is better trust me.I'd start with a 4.7 single case and add doubler if its not low enough.

highsteer and remove the ft sway bar or disconnect if its there yet. The stock steering wont hold together long with any kind of flex. the J-arm wil break over time. high steer will give the truck better feel a well and free up flex cause you can now remove the link from the axle to the frame.

Deffinitly ditch the blocks. Those things are the devil when you start adding alot of torque through the axle. The block adds move leverage against the leaf which makes breaking leafs and centering pins.

After that stuff look into armor and making ft. flex better if needed. Thats just my opinion though. Everyone wil have a different one though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would weld the rear, get hysteer, and do a better suspension to start with. When you want to upgrade from there, get a daul case (more gearing options than just a single 4.7 case), lock the front (no detroit-will break when an inner breaks) look into the aussie locker, upgrade to longfield birfs and inners. You can add more, but that is a pretty capable setup. Good luck. Happy wheelin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got an '85 and gettin into wheelin when the money comes....First I welded the rear, cut out the front and rear fenders....the back ones are kinda tough, inner fenders and stuff, bobbed it, and if you do that, cut the top first! Sliders, Crossover Steering, Dual Cases/4:7 gears....do it how it'll suit you best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts