TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the first oil change last night. Let me tell you, it was the easiest oil change I have ever done in my life. It was so mess free that I could have done it in my living room. I didn't have to drop the skidplates, or fabricate some sort of fancy drip container. The only thing I had to clean was the drain plug bolt.

Removed the plug and let the oil drain, then started the engine for a few seconds to empty the filter. When I pulled the filter from the top of the engine I didn't even have a drip to clean up.

I can't wait to do the next one.... :D

P.S. The guy that installed the oil filter on my new '03 on the assembly line, did not install this filter, Thank god.

Marc M

·
Registered
55 Posts
LOL Thats good to know! But if its a new truck its probably best to have the dealer change the oil. I usually look on the Dealers website for specials and it 20 bucks for castrol oil.

I use to change the oil myself also till, my sisters vw passat had built up sludge. The dealership would not warrenty it stating the oil wasnt changed at the dealer and they dont know when it has been changed.

By the way how do you like the 05 compared to the later dcabs? I may trade in my 02 dcab this week for it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
ibidu1 said:
LOL Thats good to know! But if its a new truck its probably best to have the dealer change the oil. I usually look on the Dealers website for specials and it 20 bucks for castrol oil.

I use to change the oil myself also till, my sisters vw passat had built up sludge. The dealership would not warrenty it stating the oil wasnt changed at the dealer and they dont know when it has been changed.

By the way how do you like the 05 compared to the later dcabs? I may trade in my 02 dcab this week for it.

Its agints the law for the dealer to do that. Slimeball dealer. As long as you keep reccords of the changes, your fine. Personally i wouldn't let the dealer with in 50 feet of my rig unless it was warranty work. I had freinds back in High School that worked in the service shop for toyota. I couldn't belive some of the crap they told me.

later,

Chris

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never was a fan of the D-cab, but only because the bed looked like it was just chopped off to fit the frame. I may have given it a thought with the '05 'cause of the now available D-cab long bed, but I do not want an automatic. Every Toyota I have driven with an auto is a slug.

There is a lot more room in the back of my access-cab than there was in my X-tra cab, and the suicide doors in the back are awesome.

So far, I love it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm starting to like the 05's... I always hate when they change any car I like but, then usually as I see em' around I start to "warm up" to the changes. I didn't like the 05's at 1st but, I'm starting to like them more and more!! I want one!!!

J

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Marc M said:
Did it every 3k on my '03 for 60,000 miles, that's 20 times without a problem.

I'll bet ya I'm not the only one who does this....

Marc

Yeah, one of my old bosses used to do that too. He paid me $500 to install a new motor for him.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Wow. Remind me to never buy a used vehicle from you. :mad:

What you dont think it does the same thing on start up after its been siting all night? I mean come on Your oil is not going to stay up on those piston walls with the motor off. Im not saying I would do it but I surely dont see a problem as long as its just a couple secs to get some of the oil out of the filter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
STOMPER said:
What you dont think it does the same thing on start up after its been siting all night? I mean come on Your oil is not going to stay up on those piston walls with the motor off. Im not saying I would do it but I surely dont see a problem as long as its just a couple secs to get some of the oil out of the filter.
My oil pump stays primed and my oil filter stays full of oil overnight. No, I don't think it's the same thing.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
FYI .. When I was a younger lad, with more brains and was less throttle happy, I raced superbikes. Here was the starting procedure. Get it on the starter. You do this with your key.... And turn it over, for about 10 seconds with the kill switch cut, and no throttle. Then, hit the ignition, turn the wick, and burn. We never,EVER cold started a motor without pumping up the pressure. It is that bad for them at startup. The ONLY time I ever just got on and went for it is when I had crashed, and was trying to get my sorry behind back on track. BTW, all turboprop planes have the same start procedure. So think about your new baby, and treat her well, 'till you abuse her.

·
Registered
297 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I'm starting to like the 05's... I always hate when they change any car I like but, then usually as I see em' around I start to "warm up" to the changes. I didn't like the 05's at 1st but, I'm starting to like them more and more!! I want one!!!

J
I started to warm up to them when I saw them in pictures, but when I went to the dealership and looked at one and drove it, I lost all desire to have one. I hate the headlights, square fenders, and composite bed. If I ever get a new one, itll be in many years after they work the bugs out of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marc,

It is your truck and do what you want, but think about it.

The oil pickup is near the bottom of the pan. When you drain the pan the pickup is dry.

When you start the engine, even for a few seconds, nothing is being pumped to the critical parts of your engine. The crankshaft bearings and the valves at the top of the engine will suffer the most.

Now you fill the engine with oil, start it, the pump must prime itself and start pumping oil to these critical parts that you have already starved of oil.

Do your engine a favor, just remove the filter with the oil, and proceed with the oil change like millions of other people do.

It really is not normal how you are doing it. Many mechanics are cringing at the thought.

Your engine will thank you for it!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Marc M said:
Relax, you change your oil and I'll change mine....

It does look like you have many cars so you know whats up. Some people just think this is strange, different strokes I guess. Looks like you wheel thats all that matters right :D :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
No offense, but, if you're taking off the old oil filter anyway, why are you (drum roll, please) concerned about removing any oil from it? It's upside down anyway on the 4.0, and whatever amount of oil is intended to drain out will have drained out on its own.

·
Kill Yourself!
2,091 Posts
Starting the engine even just for a few seconds with no oil in it is just plain stupid! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
25 Participants
not2XS
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing