TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, fine forum here! ;)

I've been driving Toyotas for thirty years and their pickups for the past twenty five.

Currently have a 1993 4 x 4 extended cab 5sp. with shell, V6, Bilsteins, 135K and it's been everywhere on the back trails to the high peaks. Runs great, still looks good too. Very solid truck.

Here's what's happening:

I bought a new 2007 Toyota 4Runner Sport V8 in December and frankly, there's a resonant vibration proiblem in it that Toyotas recognizes but will do NOTHING about. A real lpain in the arse and no TSB or support from the factory for a fix.

There's a strong possibility that the GM of the dealership might work out something that will take the 4Runner off of my hands (only 1500 miles) and he asked me which model Toyota I'd take in an exchange, extra cash would be necessary too.

I told him a 2007 Taco with V6, six speed manual tranny, Access cab/standard bed, TRD off road option, plus some other options and accessories.

The GM will be speaking with service advisor and Toyota field rep and people and they'll get back to me.

I've read bookoo posts here on the forum and wanted to know what options you'd put on the 2007 Taco that I mentioned.

Also, any problems with this model that's not covered with a current TSB?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i think all the toyota trucks have a resonant vibration

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think all the toyota trucks have a resonant vibration

This is the reason I asked the question.

The 4Runner V8 is more prone to the resonant vibration than the V6 because of the V8's full time 4WD.

My 1993 Toyota PU has no resonant vibration at all.

Do the current generation Tacos have resonant vibration, especially coming through the steering column (like the 4Runner has)?

What other major problems not addressed by factory TSB's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it from the lack of replies that there are no problems for the Tacoma 2007 that have not been addressed by factory TSB's, unlike the 4Runner's V8's resonant vibration.

Good to know. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
You should test drive the Tacoma and make your decision based on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should test drive the Tacoma and make your decision based on that.
I don't see how test driving a vehicle tells me if a TSB has not been issued for a particular vehicle.

I've driven both the auto and manual access cab Taco. I prefer the manual.

I also test drove the V6 and V8 4Runner before buying the V8.

I should have read more about the V8's resonant vibration problems w/o TSB issued.

This is why I'm posting here to get beta.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The Tacoma has alot of reports of driveshaft vibrations, especially (but not exclusively) with lifted trucks. Seems to be somewhat hit or miss.

The elocker is the one great option of the TRD OR package, plus the Sport seats which are comfy. Otherwise, there's better stuff to be found in the aftermarket world.

You a Coloradoan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Tacoma has alot of reports of driveshaft vibrations, especially (but not exclusively) with lifted trucks. Seems to be somewhat hit or miss.

The elocker is the one great option of the TRD OR package, plus the Sport seats which are comfy. Otherwise, there's better stuff to be found in the aftermarket world.

You a Coloradoan?
Yeah, I live in Denver, have climbed all of Colorado's 14,000 ft peaks and more. Been a climber for thirty plus years. I use my trucks a lot, to get to trailheads and places deep in the backcountry.

I will buy the TRD off road package and six speed manual. I like the six ft bed as I can sleep in the back under the shell I'll put on.

My current pickup has a shell and raised carpeted platform. Works great for the sleeping at the trailhead for an early climb. Fits two snugly, great for my women friends. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts