TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Doublecab just had its first problem! It won't shift into gear! I started it up, and tried to shift into Drive- nothing. Every gear was like neutral! I then tried to shift it back into park and there was a very loud grinding noise- I had to muscle it out of gear at that point. Unpleasant smell now in the garage too- UGH!
I have called toyota and am now waiting for the tow truck. My rig only has 14k on it- I have owned it since new- with no mods. I will report on how toyota treats me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
did you get it to work?

if not put both leavers in neutral and then try to put the short one in "H". if it grinds really bad shut off the truck and then try it.

hope it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still waiting for tow truck...
I am not going to fool with it anymore- even if it somehow works, I want to make sure everything is fine and no damage has been done. I searched, but couldn't find anything on this- no one else has had this happen?
Seems really weird- the transfer case seems really loose. Moving through the positions is super-smooth. It used to take a decent amount effort, now it is like it is completely disconnected...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from the dealership- they won't look at the truck till tomorrow, BUT
they gave me a brand new 05 4Runner to drive! I like it. Alot. It is very nice, the only gripe I have is that the accelerator is rather mushy the first 1/4 of travel. My 03 DCab is very quick to respond, the 4runner is smoother, but takes more movement to really kick in.
Will let you know how the repair goes, meanwhile- I will be enjoying the 4runner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
We need a full trail report on that 4Runner before it goes back. :D


udubcab said:
Just got back from the dealership- they won't look at the truck till tomorrow, BUT
they gave me a brand new 05 4Runner to drive! I like it. Alot. It is very nice, the only gripe I have is that the accelerator is rather mushy the first 1/4 of travel. My 03 DCab is very quick to respond, the 4runner is smoother, but takes more movement to really kick in.
Will let you know how the repair goes, meanwhile- I will be enjoying the 4runner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
I like the 05 runners a lot. What engine does it have in it? 4.slow?...haha Close...4x4? Come on trail report...!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has the 4.7L and is the sport edition, 4x4. I am really getting attached to it. If the 05 Tacos are like this 4runner, then I am sold! It is very smooth, and handles potholes and bumps well. Haven't gone off road yet, but then again, I haven't heard from the dealer yet- so I may have it for a while...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First dealer report:
They drove it around for 8 miles and couldn't duplicate it. Tried every setting, every 4wd setting too. I told them that they needed to do something more than drive the thing around town. They are going to discuss it tomorrow and get back to me.
They say if it happens again then they might be able to justify opening up the transmission and taking a look.
All I know is that the confidence I had in my Toyota is down a few pegs. Hopefully this won't happen again when I am up on one of the passes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
It sounds like what my truck did once. I got to a dead end, put it in reverse and gave it a bit too much gas, I was still rolling back slowly when I put it in drive and heard a grinding noise and every gear acted like it was neutral. I put it in park and it still rolled. The breaks filled with fluid and the steering wheel locked up. I quickly turned it off and on and it was normal again. Was going to take it to the dealer but im the second owner and its got a bit of modifications so I didn't feel like them having it for a couple days and then finally tell me the bigger tires void the warenty.

truck: 2.7 L Reg cab pre-runner 2002

Good luck getting it fixed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
udubcab said:
First dealer report:
They drove it around for 8 miles and couldn't duplicate it. Tried every setting, every 4wd setting too. I told them that they needed to do something more than drive the thing around town. They are going to discuss it tomorrow and get back to me.
They say if it happens again then they might be able to justify opening up the transmission and taking a look.
All I know is that the confidence I had in my Toyota is down a few pegs. Hopefully this won't happen again when I am up on one of the passes...
At least you have documented the problem. Go wheelin! Have some fun now before the warranty is up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TROUBLE!
The dealer said that they drove it again and it is fine. They then told me that the towing and rental are going to be charged to me! They never mentioned this before, (and I haven't signed a single thing) and told me it is in the warranty contract.
I told them if the opened up the transmission there would be signs of grinding (which shouldn't happen on an automatic) but they said they were not authorized to do that.
So, Toyota is closed, and the service manager has the weekend off. So now on Monday I need to raise *#@$! or they will charge me like $500! Anyone else had to deal with this kind of crap?!
They won't do the work necessary to diagnose the problem, then tell me I have to pay for everything because they can't find a problem. If they found one, it would be covered though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
udubcab said:
still waiting for tow truck...
I am not going to fool with it anymore- even if it somehow works, I want to make sure everything is fine and no damage has been done. I searched, but couldn't find anything on this- no one else has had this happen?
Seems really weird- the transfer case seems really loose. Moving through the positions is super-smooth. It used to take a decent amount effort, now it is like it is completely disconnected...
my truck had the same problem last year. i have an 02 prerunner, and the shifter would not lock. i drove it to toyota in 2nd gear, since that was the only gear that would lock, and i had to park in neutral(i live like 8 miles from my dealership) and they fixed it. but i never asked them what it was
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
udubcab said:
TROUBLE!
The dealer said that they drove it again and it is fine. They then told me that the towing and rental are going to be charged to me! They never mentioned this before, (and I haven't signed a single thing) and told me it is in the warranty contract.
I told them if the opened up the transmission there would be signs of grinding (which shouldn't happen on an automatic) but they said they were not authorized to do that.
So, Toyota is closed, and the service manager has the weekend off. So now on Monday I need to raise *#@$! or they will charge me like $500! Anyone else had to deal with this kind of crap?!
They won't do the work necessary to diagnose the problem, then tell me I have to pay for everything because they can't find a problem. If they found one, it would be covered though...
I would raise hell,and then raise more hell.The customer is always right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
udubcab said:
TROUBLE!
The dealer said that they drove it again and it is fine. They then told me that the towing and rental are going to be charged to me! They never mentioned this before, (and I haven't signed a single thing) and told me it is in the warranty contract.
I told them if the opened up the transmission there would be signs of grinding (which shouldn't happen on an automatic) but they said they were not authorized to do that.
So, Toyota is closed, and the service manager has the weekend off. So now on Monday I need to raise *#@$! or they will charge me like $500! Anyone else had to deal with this kind of crap?!
They won't do the work necessary to diagnose the problem, then tell me I have to pay for everything because they can't find a problem. If they found one, it would be covered though...
Thats complete crap. They kept the vehicle to investigate possible warranty problems...they provided a loaner vehicle to cover you. You shouldnt pay a dime, at all for that. I would raise hell and if you dont get the answer you like from the service manager, keep going up until you do get the answer you want....
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
udubcab said:
TROUBLE!
The dealer said that they drove it again and it is fine. They then told me that the towing and rental are going to be charged to me! They never mentioned this before, (and I haven't signed a single thing) and told me it is in the warranty contract.
I told them if the opened up the transmission there would be signs of grinding (which shouldn't happen on an automatic) but they said they were not authorized to do that.
So, Toyota is closed, and the service manager has the weekend off. So now on Monday I need to raise *#@$! or they will charge me like $500! Anyone else had to deal with this kind of crap?!
They won't do the work necessary to diagnose the problem, then tell me I have to pay for everything because they can't find a problem. If they found one, it would be covered though...
When you said they gave you a 4Runner to drive, I assummed they gave you a loaner (unusual, but not unheard of). If this is true, there s/b no charge. If the 4Runner was indeed a rental from either TRAC or an outside company, you are probably liable for that since they were unable to duplicate... however since this possible obligation wasn't disclosed, you have a very good basis IMO to have them either policy (eat themselves) or good-will (ask Toyota to grab a fork also) the charge. Also, when this problem resurfaces again (and it probably will), and you take it to a better dealership who actually diagnoses and corrects it, you can have any charges you paid (if you end up paying them) frm the first dealer covered under that claim.

What has ahappened is this: They thought they would easily identify an obvious warranty claim. Knowing that if this was so, you would be covered for a rent car, so they put you in one. Since they surprisingly couldn't duplicate they problem, now they are grappling with the expense.

Expecting them to go into a transmission/transfer case that has passed through Toyota's Diagnostic & troubleshooting guide is an unrealistic expectationon your part. You're talking 7-10 hours of labor on a whim.

There are very specifc troubleshooting procedures outlined by Toyota. They can't just go off willy-nilly performing any diagnostic the customer wants to take a stab at.... it opens the door for too much liability and is financially impossible.

Here's a quick overview of the resolution process:
Start with the Dealership's Fixed Operations Director (if there is one, or the Service Manager otherwise), then the Dealership's General Manager if neccesary. At the same time you contact the General Manager you need to have the FOD/SM call his Toyota District Parts Rep while you are there & schedule an appointment for all of you in person. Be polite but firm. It should not really have to go that far, but it might.
Letters can't hurt... they give you a valuable paper trail documenting your attempts for satisfaction. Letters to the Service Manager, FOD, GM are a good start.
Use the Toyota hotline (1-800-GO-TOYOTA). Depending on where your dealership is they will direct you to either TMS, SET or GST.

Remeber, polite but firm. Raising hell is pretty much guaranteed to resolve nothing. Good Luck, and keep us posted...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
udubcab said:
It has the 4.7L and is the sport edition, 4x4. I am really getting attached to it. If the 05 Tacos are like this 4runner, then I am sold! It is very smooth, and handles potholes and bumps well. Haven't gone off road yet, but then again, I haven't heard from the dealer yet- so I may have it for a while...
Have both an '03 D-cab and now a '05 runner, both 4x4's. Only trail report I can give on the '05 so far is it does pretty well on very packed snow, but notice the much less ground clearance. Slow it is not, runs circles around the '03 and gets slightly better mileage. Having a 5spd auto helps. My '03 is lifted with 33's but even stock it was about even. My thoughts are it is a great on-road, and good for easy trails off-road but will stick with the Taco for anything more than that...sorry for the off-topic

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judgedukey/detail?.dir=252a&.dnm=7e80.jpg

I would expect service like you are getting from Chevy and not Toyota (or at least that's how I got treated from Chevy). Good luck to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update...
Had a long talk with service manager. He is supposed to call me back.
Thanks everyone for the tips and help- when I said I would raise #@%*! I never planned on yelling and screaming, my wife does enough of that for both of us.
I do expect them to do the right thing here, I bought the truck from them, and they have done all the service. If they would have let me know that I might have to pay for the rental and towing, there is no way I would have accepted the rental (although I have enjoyed driving it- but not for $70 a day)
stay tuned...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top