TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a search but couldn't find an answer. I just got an 07 Dbl cab 4x4 long bed. I thought it had the tow package and the slalesman said it did but I don't have the 7 pin round connecter for the trailer wires. Also on the sticker it was listed as DH which is listed as Tow hitch on Toyotas website. Does this mean I don't have the oil cooler, trans. cooler, alternator, and so on?
The hitch does have the pin connector for the trailer wires and in manuels they gave me was one about the hitch wires? I more than a little confused here. Is there and easy way to idnetify if I have the whole package? What does the tranny cooler look like?
If I don't have the tow package what kind of recourse if any do I have? I hate stealerships!!! :mad:

Thanks
Mark

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
The tranny cooler, is a smaller version of the radiator, it is usally mounted infront of the normal radiator. Size could be about 12 x 5 inchs (approx) then the hoses should run to the tranny. Usually a sticker would state "Tow Package" to indicate all the items you mentioned.
You may also want to contact a different dealer to see if they have a Taco with the towing package and go see it in person, before confronting the other dealer for their screw up.
As to a recourse, I doubt you will have any with out something in writing that you were to get the towing package and not just a tow hitch and connector.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
These pics are piss poor, but if you look carefuly you can see it here.

This is my Tacoma. it has the towing package.

With the hood open, on the driver's side, looking straight down behind the grill, in front of the battery, under the horns, is a cooler.

It's about 10 inches wide and there are two hoses hooked to it. Not the metal pipe, that's the air conditioner. Below the metal pipe are rubber hoses.

Looking in to the grill from the front, on the driver's side, in the lower slot or opening, you can see the top of the cooler. It's painted black. Note the hoses coming out of the oval shaped hole.

This is the transmission cooler, and it is part of the towing package.

Just for contrast, here's a pic of my 4runner. The grill goes up with the hood on this one, so it's super easy to see. It has no towing package, and there is no tranny cooler below the horns. Note the unused holes in the brackets where the cooler would mount, and the large oval hole just below the metal air conditioner pipe where the cooling lines would come through.

One more thing you can use to refrence between these pics is the airbag sensor connector. It's the yellow thing in the lower right portion of this pic. It is clearly visible under the transmission cooling hoses in the top pic.

Next, the oil cooler.

There is an added part under the oil filter that uses radiator water to cool the oil.

It looks like this.

The 4runner without the oil cooler looks like this.

There should be no mistaking it. You either have these parts, or you did not get the tow package.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You could also check your battery. I don't know what they put in the stock Tacoma, but the TO package comes with a heavy duty battery - group 27F with 710 CCA and 165 reserve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, and especially the pics! I'll check it out tomorrow but I think I got swindled on this one. Buyer beware rings true as always and loudest after the paperwork has been signed. :doh:
So I guess my next question would be whats the most important thing besides the hitch? I'm thinking the Trans cooler. I will be towing a 19 ft boat on a single axle trailer. I'm guessing around 3,000 lbs. Usually only a 15 minute drive through town to the ramp. Occaisonally a 1.5 hour drive highway and side roads to the lake. I know 3,000 is under the rating but I like to have plenty of leeway on things.
Mark

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I've towed with mine, and it doesn't give a rat's ass about the biggest U-Haul trailer loaded just as full as it would go.

The only thing you need to remember is that the owner's manual says to NEVER tow with the transmission in "D". Always tow in "4".

If you do this, and keep your speed below 70 MPH, you should be fine towing a 19 foot boat.

That's assuming you have the V6, of course!

If you can talk the dealer into adding the tranny cooler it would be nice, but I wouldn't get too worried about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats my plan. I'll see how bad the dealer wants his suvey to be and go from there. I did read the manuel and saw to keep it in 4 for towing. Thanks for the heads up just the same. Also it is the V6. I had a hitch on my 04 Titan to tow it but no Big Tow as they called it.Without that it would haul 5,000lbs stock. Obviously I would'nt have needed the 10,000lb capacity anyway.
Tahnks again
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts