TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my truck to get inspected today and the guy pointed out to me that the frame rail under my passenger side seat is rusted out, pretty bad i must say. He sent me to a welding shop where the guy said he can weld plates to the bottom of the frame well and a spot to the side to repair it. I must say it was kind of a sad moment becuause my truck has been rock friggin solid for almost 11 years now but I guess thats the price you pay with the elements and with age. I'm not sure why they make frame rails with holes in the side because it looks like once water gets in there it has no way to drain out which causes the corrosion. Well i have an appt. next week to get the welding done and I should be good to go. Not bad for 147,000 miles eh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What area of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I junked my 97 recently after figuring out the entire frame was pretty much shot. Trust me that those holes you just found are just the beginning... Check out the back frame rails where it isn't boxed. Particularly at the curve above the rear leafs....

Get an awl and start pounding the frame rails elsewhere it is boxed... It'll probably go through a bunch of areas....

Life in the rust belt sucks....

-Fear

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I junked my 97 recently after figuring out the entire frame was pretty much shot. Trust me that those holes you just found are just the beginning... Check out the back frame rails where it isn't boxed. Particularly at the curve above the rear leafs....

Get an awl and start pounding the frame rails elsewhere it is boxed... It'll probably go through a bunch of areas....

Life in the rust belt sucks....

-Fear
I had a slight bend in the Frame on the D/S right at the curve just fwd of the leaf spring and there was a pocket of rust there, I grinded it up quick and put some POR15 there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i paid extra for an anti rust coating when i bought my '99 in utah... anyone else buy that shit from the dealer? the frame looks great!!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
i paid extra for an anti rust coating when i bought my '99 in utah... anyone else buy that shit from the dealer? the frame looks great!!

I bought a Gallon of undercoating when my 2000 was new and brushed it all on the frame, I noticed that 1 bad spot when I had my Spare Tire out. I actually need to crawl under and check the entire frame out and grind any spots I find and put the POR15 on them and reundercoat it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.