TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, sorry for asking this, i know we have enough of these sort of threads. 2004 double cab. I want to fit 285/75s on the stock rims. I am most likely going with a 3 inch cornfed wiith diff drop. I know it is going to rub some, and i know how to do a pinch weld mod. I can deal with a little rubbing, but the truck is going to be wheeled some, and i dont want to kill the fenders. i am not apposed to a small body lift if neccesary. What works, what doesnt. Thanks for the help.

ps i dont want to go smaller, 265/75s just dont cut it to me

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
3" of lift is not going to be enough....you'll rub....plus you wanted to run stock wheels...you need at least another 1"...and you still rub a little...

·
Registered
836 Posts
It can be done with minimal fender rub, but with stock rims a lot of guys have problems with 285's rubbing on the spindle tower. Either 0.25" wheel spacers or new upper control arms should offer enough clearence near the tower. Don't know how much fender rub you'll get, but if you don't clear the spindle tower, you won't be running 285's anyway.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
cumminsdzl said:
Ok guys, sorry for asking this, i know we have enough of these sort of threads. 2004 double cab. I want to fit 285/75s on the stock rims. I am most likely going with a 3 inch cornfed wiith diff drop. I know it is going to rub some, and i know how to do a pinch weld mod. I can deal with a little rubbing, but the truck is going to be wheeled some, and i dont want to kill the fenders. i am not apposed to a small body lift if neccesary. What works, what doesnt. Thanks for the help.

We run 285's all the time on stock rims with 2.5in of lift too 2.75in of lift. The key is the alignment! You can have the alignment shop move your front tires forward durning the alignment! You will fit just fine! You will get some rubbing ont he frame but that is due to the wheel off-set!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cb77DEMELLO said:
We run 285's all the time on stock rims with 2.5in of lift too 2.75in of lift. The key is the alignment! You can have the alignment shop move your front tires forward durning the alignment! You will fit just fine! You will get some rubbing ont he frame but that is due to the wheel off-set!
How much can the wheel be moved forward? I can see how that will help the rubbing in the pinch weld area, but how does it change the rubbing on the spindle tower?

·
Registered
52 Posts
mine

I have a 3 inch lift and run 285X75X16 on a 16X8 rim.
I have done the pinch weld mod and still have a little rubbing on the rear of the fender. I talked to Jason at Demello's Offroad and took his advise and had a good allignment done and that solved that problem. I still rub a little, but only on large bumps when turning. here is a picture of mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed the powerloss. When I am passing someone on the expressway and when running down the road. The only other time is if you are purposely trying to spin the tires. But it is livable until I regear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gerald, what backspacing are the rims you have? By the way, the truck looks great, got anymore pictures?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gerald said:
I have a 3 inch lift and run 285X75X16 on a 16X8 rim.
I have done the pinch weld mod and still have a little rubbing on the rear of the fender. I talked to Jason at Demello's Offroad and took his advise and had a good allignment done and that solved that problem. I still rub a little, but only on large bumps when turning. here is a picture of mine.
what tires are those?

·
Registered
95 Posts
cumminsdzl said:

Like Jason said, do the pinch weld and have them adjust the castor forward when you get the alignment done. The only place mine rubs now is on the front passangers side, on the cover for the windwasher fluid res. and it's only when the suspension is compressed and the wheel is turned to the left in just the right spot. I don't feel it rub on the frame at all any more. You'll probably have to go out and work with the alignment guy a little to get it right. I took about an hour of making adjustments and driving it get it to track straight. My castor is about a 5 on the drivers side and 4.5 on the pass. side. The rest (camber, toe) are within specs. The one place I did have a problem with rubbing is in the rear. The tire would stuff into the front of the fender. I didn't take long before i wore through the plastic inside the fender and hit metal, which started cutting groves in the tire. To fix this I just trimmed the inside front of the rear fenders. Since then it hasn't rubbed anymore. I've got about 2.5 of lift in the front and 2 in the back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, I plan on changing the revtek lift and putting onthe Donahoe, Deaver, Donahoe suspension.
The backspacing on my rims are 4.25 at least that is what I was told by 4wp
The tires are BFG MT's I have a few close-ups showing tire clearance if you need just shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send them to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts