TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much pain and suffering (and a pair of reading glasses for the FSM) I've finally figured out the way to turn off the check engine light after doing an auto to manual swap. Mine is a 1996 2.7, your mileage may vary.

I'm not going to mention wire colors since they vary from year to year and truck to truck but here's the info:

Buy (3) 500 ohm 1 watt resistors (4:1 safety factor) and wire them between shift solenoids A, B, and E to ground. I.e. one side of the each resistor to each shift solenoid wire and tie the other side of all three together and then to ground. A handy ground can be found on the connector for your now unused 'L4' or 't-case neutral' position switch.

Cut wires 5 and 6 from your P/N position switch and connect them together- this allows your truck to start. Now, find and cut the lead that indicates 'drive' and connect to the common of the switch. You'll probably already have this common tied to one side of your reverse light switch so just connect the 3 together. Leave the rest of the wires in the connector.

Now, buy a 2k ohm 1/4 watt resistor and connect between the two leads of your trans temp sensor.

That's it! No codes thus far but I will keep you updated as I go along and especially after I complete the famous Toyota 'drive cycle' which I need to do to pass inspection. If you have done it differently and it works please post an update! Enjoy!

Greg

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Glad to hear you wear able to figured it out. Now teach the rest of us how to read FSM's? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 1: Buy reading glasses (see first post)
Step 2: Evaluate the frequency which you pull your hair out when confused and ensure that you have enough on your head to complete said operation.
Step 3: Gentlemen, don your reading glasses!
Step 4: Learn toyota's interesting 1 letter abbreviation scheme for wire colors
Step 5: Be sure to print out the page that shows you exactly what the connector looks like that you're about to cut off.
Step 6: Devote a solid day to figuring out exactly what each wire does and where it goes.
Step 7: Actually solve your problem!

See, it's simple!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Is this also a way to put a ECM from an auto into a manual? I bought a used ECM from a wrecked auto thinking they couldn't be too different. But there is an A/T on the code label.
If your ECU was anything like mine was, (I put a 97 5 speed ECU into an 04 Auto) The ECU's are totally different. The plugs will not interconnect easily. Even if you do this Mod, you will be rewiring every connector...

Steve

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Haha funny thing. On some Lexus vehicles, at LEAST LS400's, people swap out the autos for manual W56's and get a adapter plate or some shit. Thats what some australians do.

Then they have a tranny 'limp' mode that the ECU goes in because there is no more tranny connections. They have to rewire shit in the shifter or somethin to make the ECU think it is in neutral so it will leave limp mode (limp mode makes the engine run weak). But after a while, apparently the ECU throws a code because it is in neutral for too long lol.

Who would thought?! They just have to live with it haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are the locations for the shift solenoid wires? i cant find a factory service manual so i have no idea where the wires are. Are they part of the p/n safety switch or are they part of the 3 pin connector that doesnt go anywhere?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.