TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have been told that you have to have them pressed in and i have been told that you dont have to. so i figure that having it pressed in is the best option, but would it be worth the extra money?

btw anybody know how much a shop would charge?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
what you do is pull it through Greg, stack a bunch of washers on it, andput your lug nut back on the end, tighten it down with an air wrench, and it will pull it through. Cheap, effectve, and better than trying to beat that bitch in with a hammer. :)

Again - the voice of experience, had to replace all 20 on my MX6. :)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what you do is pull it through Greg, stack a bunch of washers on it, andput your lug nut back on the end, tighten it down with an air wrench, and it will pull it through. Cheap, effectve, and better than trying to beat that bitch in with a hammer. :)

Again - the voice of experience, had to replace all 20 on my MX6. :)
eh nice idea, maybe this will give me a good reason to buy a impact:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
there ya go, and let me know if you need a hand, I got an impact if you got a compressor, well, I got one of those too, just not a great big one, I'll be glad to help, here or there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I know in old fords (not really relavant) they had to be pressed with a special machine so the end would "mushroom" out putting less pressure on the drum in one specific spot.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Onm the toyota it is just a splined bolt and the splines are only very slightly larger than the hole they are supposed to go into. :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've hammered them in & out (w/brass punch) no problem.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Chris is right, just use the lug nut and some thick washers and that should work, just fine, even without an impact it will seat itself with a little pizazza (sp)....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
what everyone else said, very easy to do! don't pay any shop to do it. i did mine similar to chris's method, just didn't have an impact.
-daniel

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The BFH method is quickest just support under the stud ... however I'm a BFH lovin' carpenter by trade and moonlighting mechanic wannabe!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sweet. f the shops then.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
... technically speaking... "interference fit"
you and your big words. lol. The Stud is bigger than the hole and you have to squieeeeesshh it in there...

We dont need no stinking interference fit...whatever that means. Ha.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I had to replace all 20 of them....I bought a new set of wheels and lug nuts came with them...off of my buddies 240 Drift Car, and I left for the day with them sitting over at my other buddies house, and he decided he wanted to see what they looked like, so he slapped em on there with an impact wrench, and of course the the threads in those lug nuts are different than mine, so he tore all my studs to hell and back. lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
funny thing is i got a broke one on the front of my 99 taco and i need it replaced but its been a while since shop class and i cant remember how to get the rotor off. i also need new rotors. the local tire shop wants to charge me like 40+ bucks to sink that bad boy in that hole so i figured id ask u guyshow to get the rotor off in the frunt :D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
word of caution from personal experince with rocko_taco method. don't get over zealous with the impact gun, and make sure the lug nuts go on the bolts easily so theres no cross threading. i ended up doing all 6 on my left front with a .5" breaker bar and some muscle. i kept strippin off the threads becuase the impact was causing it to bind up and well 200 ft. lbs. of tq zaps it in, so if you have access to a press dirt cheap or free take it. just my .02.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts