TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need to replace my catalytic converter... probably due to slow coolant leak through my head gasket that I found after buying my truck 7 years ago. Because of my high mileage, mechanics are quoting prices that are higher than what I paid for the truck. What are your thoughts on sealant products like this: K&W Permanent Metallic Block Seal I'm just looking for something that will allow me to continue driving my truck. I don't need for it to look beautiful. If none of these products are recommended, I may just install the new cat and O2 sensors for my California smog check and then remove them and replace them with the old parts, till I repeat the process 2 years on with the next required smog check. Please share your thoughts on this.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,583 Posts
There is no miracle fix to a bad head gasket. Replacing it is your only true fix. Probably $1500-1700 or so for the work. Sealant products sometimes work, sometimes not. I don't have any first hand experience to say if one brand or another is better. They don't fix all problems either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being in my 70s and not having another vehicle to drive, it no longer makes sense for me to do something this major. After all, who knows what I'd find... and then I'd be stuck.

I lose very little coolant, but I read that can lead to a cat failure. I talked with a mechanic, and he stated the problem is oil, not coolant, but he feels I've gotten more than my share of miles from my cat. I never need to add oil between oil changes. Considering this is the original cat, and I have almost 220K miles on it, maybe I should just replace the cat every 6 years and not bother with the sealer or saving the cat for just the required smog tests. I've been quoted a minimum of $2500 to do the head gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts