TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heater/AC fan in the cab makes a HORRIBLE squeak noise. It's intermittent, but it does it more than it doesn't do it. All I hear when i drive is SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK...drives me NUTS.

How do I access this fan so I can break it down and figure out what's going on? Maybe there's a piece of debris stuck in there, a leaf or general tree debris? Help! Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Three screws sound correct, there is a two prong electrical connector with a locking tab that you'll have to pull out as well.

If you find your problem there in the blower housing than great, if not, then the problem may be lack of lubrication in the motor bushings.

To get at the front motor bushing you'll need to remove the squirrel cage.
There is a metal band on the nose and a small plastic locking tab. Remove the band and bend the locking tab out of the way. With two long screwdrivers under the squirrel cage on either side pry it GENTLY up and off the shaft. The squirrel cage is delicate or alternatively you could bend the shaft.

On the front of the motor housing you'll see a bushing and a felt washer around the shaft. You need to soak the washer with oil, the bushing is porous and this will lubricate it.

To access the rear bushing I think you can just remove a plastic strip on the end of the motor. I removed the motor from the plastic housing completely, so I don't remember if that's the case. Either way, the washer on the rear bushing should be soaked in oil as well.

Hope this helps.

Chipsndukes

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Mine is making a awful noise also. It sounds like giant rattle...I took it out and dicovered that the bearing on the squirrel cage are worn out...I need to buy a new blower motor assy. It costs about $180.00...
97TacoDude..take it out and oil the bushing on the blower..it might buy you some time. It really is very easy to remove, like ShawnD2 said.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try wrenching on it this weekend. I can't stand much more of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts