TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an FJ 55 for sale down the street. The car looks to be in pretty bad shape, and the guy soesnt want much for it. Would it be worth buying the truck in order to use the axel for an sas on my 96 4runner? Will the axel work?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I believe the axle is the same width of the FJ40 axle which is a little too narrow. You could use an axle from an FJ60 or 62 since they are wider. Most people shoot for a 60 inch minimum front axle width.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
FJ55 is 58" WMS which is the same as a Fj60 axle. They use the same steering and birfs as the mini truck axles only with longer inner shafts and steering rod lengths.

You could use IFS hub bodies or spacers to make up the width to be the same as a Tacoma.

Also they have a 9.5" Ring gear so you don't have worry about the ring gear.

Talk to Kurt at www.crusieroutfitters.com . He was an awesome help when setting up my 80 series axles and is super knowledgable.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If its the same width of the fj60 then it would be an ok fit with some spacers. Only problem is that you will need to get a new tcase to match the passenger side diff drop on the fj55 axle. Or you can flip the axle and modify it to a drivers side drop.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
ATLRoach said:
FJ55 is 58" WMS which is the same as a Fj60 axle. They use the same steering and birfs as the mini truck axles only with longer inner shafts and steering rod lengths.

You could use IFS hub bodies or spacers to make up the width to be the same as a Tacoma.

Also they have a 9.5" Ring gear so you don't have worry about the ring gear.

Talk to Kurt at www.crusieroutfitters.com . He was an awesome help when setting up my 80 series axles and is super knowledgable.
FJ40/55 axles are 57" front. FJ60 are 60". FJ80s are 63". My buddy swapped in FJ60 axles into his FJ55 to gain the extra 3 inches. This is why not many people use mini truck front axles on Tacoma's because they are a little too narrow. THey are all the the same from the knuckle out for the most part, just different housing width and inner axle length.

I am looking at using an FJ62 axle cut and flipped to drivers drop for use in my Tacoma. Get the FJ55 if you want to buildit for wheeling otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know this is an old thread but theres some wrong infomation it.

Mini Front Axles are: 55.5" WMS to WMS
FJ55 Front Axles are: the same - 55.5" WMS to WMS
FJ60 and 62 Front Axles are: 58.5" WMS to WMS

If you use IFS hub bodys you'll gain almost 3" (1.5 on each side) on any one of those axles.

A FJ60/62 Front axles is perfect to match the Tacoma rear. With IFS hubs you'd be at 61.5" WMS to WMS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts