TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blew out the rear end in my 2005 Tacoma while doing what I consider lite duty off roading. Toyota fixed under warranty but now I'm concerned about the reliability of the truck for off roading. I had a 95 toyota 4wd pickup (not a tacoma) for 10 years and ran the sh*t out of it with no problems. It still drove like new when I sold it. Now I wish I kept the old truck.

Are the FJ Cruisers more reliable 4 wheelers than the tacoma? Should I keep the tacoma and upgrade the rear end? Or get an older toyota for 4 wheelin?

Which toyota is the best?

Opinions???

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Wow..

I was just wondering this exact thing tonight. Some dude at my job has a new FJ, and he always parks next to my Tacoma way in the back of the parking lot. I was looking at it tonight a bit, and that thing seems to have quite a bit more ground clearance than the specs say it does online.

·
Registered
758 Posts
equin said:
I wonder if any FJCs have had any frame cracking issues by the driver side engine mount like the 05 Tacomas.
FWIW, I have yet to here about any FJC with the 05 cracked frame problem on the forums I read for FJ info.

There have been at least 4 people over at fjcruiserforums.com that had their rear ends fail. A couple of which were just driving around town. Then there was the yellow FJ and the black (Toyota driven) FJ on the Rubicon as well.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
hahahahah they covered it under warrenty!?!?!?!? I guess you didn tell them you were offroading? lol. I would go with an older taco. You can beat those trucks up more and not feel bad about it! You could buy an older taco and get some upgrades for it for much less than you can buy a 2005 for!

brad

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I would think you're past your diff issues - IMHO, they got a bad batch of gears and it's affecting the Tacos and FJC's. Having dealt with Toyota as a supplier I can ASSURE you that the problem is contained/fixed.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Read the 05 diff failure thread.... it was a defect.. and toyota will replace the R&P... other than the few isolated cracked frames there hasnt been too much negative about these... they are not as tough as the older rigs, but thats what you get for a North America marketed rig...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read and posted on the 05 diff failure thread and stayed up till midnight reading the cracked frame thread (not all 16 pages though). Maybe isolated defects but maybe its also under engineered and of lower quality than the older Japanese made toyotas.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
desert_boy said:
I read and posted on the 05 diff failure thread and stayed up till midnight reading the cracked frame thread (not all 16 pages though). Maybe isolated defects but maybe its also under engineered and of lower quality than the older Japanese made toyotas.
I wouldnt go so far to say lower quality, just less durability. They are built for the market... Same Toyota quality, just not as rugged...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like the older they are the more rugged they were designed.

I thought I'd hear more comentary between the new FJ Cruisers and Tacomas. I guess the suspensions/engines are about the same. Since the FJCs are shorter maybe that gives them the advantage offroad.

As far as truck/4runner comparisons, I'd say the trucks are probably more capable than the runners due to the tougher suspensions (post 95).

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
desert_boy said:
As far as truck/4runner comparisons, I'd say the trucks are probably more capable than the runners due to the tougher suspensions (post 95).
:confused: The front is exactly the same, for the rear, the 4Runner has a coil sprung 4 link, the truck has leafs...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RedRunnertc said:
:confused: The front is exactly the same, for the rear, the 4Runner has a coil sprung 4 link, the truck has leafs...
RedRunnertc, does this mean the coils are better? I thought the leafs were stronger/tougher.

I checked out some of your pics. Looks like you do some tough wheelin with a variety of toyotas. How do they compare? Is yours the red 4runner? A 90-95 4runner is what may be in my future.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I have all three...an 89 4runner, a 97 tacoma, and an FJC.

which is "best" you ask...depends on what your doing.

My runner and tacoma both have solid front axle swaps on them, so they are excellent rigs for most any offroading, cept maybe sand.

most of my wheeling is done in the Sierra, so its mostly rock-crawling.

The FJC does exceptionally well for me, I am amazed at how well it did straight off the dealerships lot. I have since added armor and lift/tires, and it helped a bit..and I have not blown up my rear end just yet....

I would go for an older toy or 4runner, the '85 4runner is a great rig to start with, but thats the year eveyone wants because its fuel injected with a solid axle stock from the factory.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I wouldn't say they're better OR worse, just different.

Yes, mine is the red '93 with the partial exo (to protect the rear glass, which is getting hard to find in a junkyard, and new cost $427.19/ea - so it pays to protect them!) There are quite a few differences - the second gens seem to have the most ground clearance, but the coilover suspension on the third gens flexes better. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get another second gen. If I was going to 'wheel it, I would get a first gen, since it's SO MUCH lighter. If it was only gonna occasionally see a trail, I'd get a third gen since the motors are so much better.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
stucktaco said:
dana 44's front and rear.
FYI... the Toy diffs are pretty close to a D44. Why would you want to go to a bigger pumpkin for a small... if any increase in streingth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i would have to say avoid any of the new Toyotas. Not sure about the FJ but i know from experiance. I bought a brand new xrunner for myself. (POS) had to take it to the dealer 5 different times within a month. Bought my dad a brand new Tunda DCab. POS as well, had that guy in 15 different times over the range of 5 months. Same issue, never resolved on both new trucks. I ended up trading my xrunner in for a Honda s2k and my dad ended up trading his Tundra in for a Odysea. He has 89 toy p/u and he's never been sadder in his life to think that his 89 ran better than the brand new one. He also has an old 81 which still runs. Can't beat the 22R. I say, if you want to do wheeling, go with an older Truck. That way when you dent it up you won't care as much. Thanks. .02 given

1 - 19 of 19 Posts