TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cont. from a previous post but new problem: I installed a Heckethorn 3" lift kit on my 07 FJ. Typical spacer on the front end and coils on the back, seemed like a quality product to me due to the fact the spacers were not plastic! Have Pro Comp Rock Crawler wheels an Pro Comp ExtremeAT radials.

Drove it in the rain today, if there is any water on the road you need to use both hands. Will almost jerk the wheel out of your hands when you hit a puddle.

Has anyone had this problem? Almost seems like the power steering is not enough to handle the jolt. Reminds me of my 72 Datsun without power steering. Is this a problem with Rack and Pinion?

Know they dont make a steering stabilizer for rack and pinion but would be a good fabrication Idea!

Any and all advise plus solutions greatly appreciated.

GUNPILOT.............

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
noobie

QUIT POSTING THE SAME THING ALL OVER THE PLACE.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gotta say I've never heard of Heckethorn.:confused:

Your wheels aren't balanced right, I had the same problem. Take it back to whoever did your wheels and tires and tell them to do it again. The FJ is very sensitive to larger wheels and tires, and they have to use the latest eqquipment to get it right, like the Hunter Roadforce balancer.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Did you get an alignment done after the lift was installed?

Also, larger tires or tires with a diffrent tread style can cause more drag when you hit that nice puddle. They won't "cut" through the water as well, and will push the wheels. this may be what is happening to you if everything else is OK on it. Slow down. If you go fast enough instead of pushing they will just float on top... then it won't matter if you have both hands on the wheel.

Oh yeah, BTW, spacers suck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cont. from a previous post but new problem: I installed a Heckethorn 3" lift kit on my 07 FJ. Typical spacer on the front end and coils on the back, seemed like a quality product to me due to the fact the spacers were not plastic! Have Pro Comp Rock Crawler wheels an Pro Comp ExtremeAT radials.

Drove it in the rain today, if there is any water on the road you need to use both hands. Will almost jerk the wheel out of your hands when you hit a puddle.

Has anyone had this problem? Almost seems like the power steering is not enough to handle the jolt. Reminds me of my 72 Datsun without power steering. Is this a problem with Rack and Pinion?

Know they dont make a steering stabilizer for rack and pinion but would be a good fabrication Idea!

Any and all advise plus solutions greatly appreciated.

GUNPILOT.............
Okay, this sounds close to a problem I'm having tho I sure as hell haven't had a rain issue. I'm curious if your steering is hard to control offroad. I have a distinct 1" - 1.5" of play in my steering wheel when offroading. This includes everything from a washboard gravel road to serious (for mostly stock FJ) wheeling. I've put my front end up on stands and shaken every damn steering component I could readily get my hands on with no play found. This leads me to believe that I have a Power Steering Unit issue, which is something completely foreign to me. I just downloaded the FJ repair manual so it will be a project this weekend I suspect. Of course I also took it to the dealer, but they told me they couldn't find anything wrong except a slight shake, which they blamed on my tires. I had noticed the shake before as well, and immediately rotated the tires (after two rebalance attempts, the latter of which was a definitive lugcentric balance on the roadforce balancer) which took care of the shake issue, but the loose steering persists. I've had the rig 2 months and its had this problem from the day I brought it home from the dealer. Any thoughts? (aside from I'm a dumbass for trading in my 03 taco):confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
David,

Thanks for the reply. Did get an alignment done after the lift, the tires came balanced and I had them rebalanced. Both vehicles are doing the same thing wheel shakes a half an inch and both pull slightly to the right.

Im starting not to like rack and pinion, its real sensitive.

From what others have suggested I need to get the tires rebalanced at a place with a good balancer. Thats going to be fun to find in (LA) lower AL.

Bobby

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, this sounds close to a problem I'm having tho I sure as hell haven't had a rain issue. I'm curious if your steering is hard to control offroad. I have a distinct 1" - 1.5" of play in my steering wheel when offroading. This includes everything from a washboard gravel road to serious (for mostly stock FJ) wheeling. I've put my front end up on stands and shaken every damn steering component I could readily get my hands on with no play found. This leads me to believe that I have a Power Steering Unit issue, which is something completely foreign to me. I just downloaded the FJ repair manual so it will be a project this weekend I suspect. Of course I also took it to the dealer, but they told me they couldn't find anything wrong except a slight shake, which they blamed on my tires. I had noticed the shake before as well, and immediately rotated the tires (after two rebalance attempts, the latter of which was a definitive lugcentric balance on the roadforce balancer) which took care of the shake issue, but the loose steering persists. I've had the rig 2 months and its had this problem from the day I brought it home from the dealer. Any thoughts? (aside from I'm a dumbass for trading in my 03 taco):confused:
I was starting to think I was going nuts with some of the other replies!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well there is nothing wrong with your steering you have crappy tires, with large surface area hitting big puddles.... OMG IT HYDROPLANES!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well so far, I’ve been given some great examples of hydroplaning and drag due to more rubber on the road. Thanks! I did learn something and anytime I can learn something progress is made, I appreciate the posts!

What I did not expect was all the other posts. Sure I’m new, maybe I have bought inferior products. But I’m happy with the way my vehicles look. I could not give a rats ass what your opinion is of what I have purchased. What I came here for is information and those who supplied it I thank you.

This vaguely reminds me of when I was seven and all the other kids where giving one of the poor kids in the neighborhood crap over the fact he bought shitty grips for his piece of junk bike. The kid didn’t care, he was happy with what he had done and accomplished!

Have a feeling I opened a can of worms with this one!

·
Registered
306 Posts
WHINE WHINE WHINE....
1) First off you came to an OFFROAD FORUM talking about a lift and tires you did just for looks....:confused:
2) How old are you? How long you been driving? Do you know what hydroplaning is?
3) You jumped right in with the big boys assuming it was something to do with your lift when you drive through water...Stick to the newbie tech.
4) Go over to fjcruiserforums.com if you want to be proud of how your truck looks, if you want FJ cruiser offroad tech stick here.
5) You spent $25K on a vehicle to put shitty aftermarket equipment on it are you fucking kidding me?

Finally and most importantly...

Don't get your panties in a wad because a bunch of e-thugs give you a hard time, you gotta learn to let the shit roll off your back. Good luck with your little bitch ass short bus hope you learn how to control your truck in big puddles.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Chris, you made some good points somewhere in there.... for someone who drives a bitch ass short bus. :D
Hey my truck may be "bitch ass" (why did I even say that it doesnt even make sense :confused:) but I drive a state trooper car, not a short bus, not a porta potty, a state trooper car, get it right CK! :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
1) First off you came to an OFFROAD FORUM talking about a lift and tires you did just for looks....:confused:
2) How old are you? How long you been driving? Do you know what hydroplaning is?
3) You jumped right in with the big boys assuming it was something to do with your lift when you drive through water...Stick to the newbie tech.
4) Go over to fjcruiserforums.com if you want to be proud of how your truck looks, if you want FJ cruiser offroad tech stick here.
5) You spent $25K on a vehicle to put shitty aftermarket equipment on it are you fucking kidding me?

Finally and most importantly...

Don't get your panties in a wad because a bunch of e-thugs give you a hard time, you gotta learn to let the shit roll off your back. Good luck with your little bitch ass short bus hope you learn how to control your truck in big puddles.
:lmao: :lmao:

He's a festooner.:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts