TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is that? Its the same 4.0 in the Taco. Isn't it? Do you have to run 91? I know the computer can adjust to the lower octane but if you don't have to then I wouldn't run 91.

If it requires 91 then scratch the FJ off of my list I'll get the Taco.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
One of my friends (TRD2001) owns a 2006 4Runner with the V8. It can run 87 octane or 91 octane. The computer just adjusts the engine to properly burn the lower (or higher) grade fuel. Same holds true with the V6 engines. It will run better and have more power with the 91, but if your a cheap SOB like many, the 87 octane will work just fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Humm $0.20 more a gallon on a $30k truck......

Tacoma requires premium too.

Unless of course you want a detuned low power truck.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Same engine as the Tacoma I ran 87 for the first 15k and then switched to 91 and noticed a decent increase in power and in mpg, but probably not enough to justify spending $3.50 a gallon :eek: .

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Holy shit!, I havent filled up since last week is it really that much now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently they take the supply and demand idea to new heights in SoCal.
On the news the other day, they showed that the demand for gas has gone down by 1%(a lot if you think about how much gas we use). The reporter then said usually when the demand goes down, the price goes down with it so why isn't the price of gas going down.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Because the oil companies would lose money... but nobody will ever come out and say it... I think it's absolutely ridiculious no reason for it at all! No where else but California is gas this high. For 87 I bet it will be close if not at $4/gallon by memorial day.. I also don't ever see it going back down below $3/gallon.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I wish I could pay $3.5O for 87
Where the hell are you filling up? The Chevron near my house was 3.31 this morning. Or if you do wish to pay 3.50 just go down to stations at 78 and Melrose.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Uhhh, ok if you think that they are getting "more power" from higher octane fuel on your stock motors...you are not.

Higher octane fuel is does NOTHING for a stock motor as you haven't done any modifications (such as changing your compression ratio or adding forced induction) that will utilize the the higher octane. Engines are designed to run a specific octane. What octane is your motor designed for? Check your owners manual. For stock Tacoma 2.7L and 3.4L motors, that happens to be 87 octane.

Thanks for feeding the oil companies more money than they need.

·
Registered
808 Posts
We have an '05 runner with the V6 and have done several 91 vs 87 test and have found no significant difference in MPG with either. "Seat of the pants feel" also feels the same...so we stick with 87 all the time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uhhh, ok if you think that they are getting "more power" from higher octane fuel on your stock motors...you are not.

Higher octane fuel is does NOTHING for a stock motor as you haven't done any modifications (such as changing your compression ratio or adding forced induction) that will utilize the the higher octane. Engines are designed to run a specific octane. What octane is your motor designed for? Check your owners manual. For stock Tacoma 2.7L and 3.4L motors, that happens to be 87 octane.

Thanks for feeding the oil companies more money than they need.
True but new tacos and FJ's say 91.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Anyone know why the FJ's and new Taco's call for 91 octane but the new 4 runners only ask for 87 octane? I know you can still run 87 in the FJ's and Taco's but was wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge on why 2 different vehicles with the same engine call for different grades (at least it does on the Toyota.com site)?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts