TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are Reinforcement Plates to box the rear of your FJ40, they are .1875" (3/16) thick Steel Plate. Made to strengthen an inherently weak area on an FJ40, opinions differ on whether or not Boxing the frame should be done so do your research. We believe the frame should be stiff and the suspension should be doing the flexing. Flexing the frame loosens the rivets and slowly tears it apart. This comes with a 1.75" x .188" replacement crossmember with 4 predrilled placement options, one of the holes is at the stock position and the others are spaced 3" on center, one in front and 2 behind the stock position. If you are adjusting your WB way back we would recomend 2 Crossmembers to retain the structural rigidity gained by the frame boxing itself and the Crossmembers provided are long enough to allow mounting through the existing frame also (just drill 1.75" holes through the frame using the Plates as a guide). These are designed to fit within the frame itself so you do not have to remove the tub to install, however you do have to remove the factory Crossmember and mounting plate and reposition the rear brake line. The short angled plates are made 1/8" long to allow for movement that has already occured, comes with 1 pair of Shock Brackets. Welding Required!

This is really a pretty simple kit, I will add a couple of good pics of one on a frame ASAP......

We will add a second Crossmember for $28 and the price has been adjusted up slightly so you do not have to wait for a shipping quote.

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet, but they are in the pipeline.....

The only thing I have found for a Taco is a plate that welds on to the outside? It might make it stronger but it really does nothing to stiffen the frame at all, Boxing the frame is the real answer and it always has been. We do not like to do things halfway.....

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what happened to that picture......

It was fine last time I saw it but it was too small anyway, we will take some more with a better view. And Tes, it will work for a Taco too. We are going to ramp up the boxing plates so we can offer them sooner.....It won't be tommorrow but it will be soon.....

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
alabamatacomaguy said:
do you have any pics of your Replacement Shock Mount Crossmember Kit, and will it work for the taco, also id be interested in a frame boxing kit for the taco if you ever deciede to make one
Got one on my 4runner a few months back....crossmember came longer then needed, to fit any vechicle.

Its an awesome kit. All parts are bent and cut and looks like a really super easy install. End caps are laser cut for 2x2 crossmember...I think it will sit flush inside to allow for full penteration welds inside and out.

Kit came with end tabs, crossmemeber, uppper shock tabs (2) and lower shock tabs (2)...

[/QUOTE]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts